Tuesday, January 03, 2006

You Snooze, You Lose

So there I was, watching Oprah yesterday morning, when I realized that the guy she had on her show STOLE MY BOOK!!! Well, I guess TECHNICALLY he didn’t, but my whole plan was to eventually publish TBOTE as a book and HIS book, “A Million Little Pieces” is basically the same story: addict lifestyle & recovery. And there he is, on Oprah, basking in the glory of being an Oprah Book Club author and having his book be #1 on all three bestseller lists and getting thousands of e-mails a day from people who said he “saved their life” or “helped them understand their friend/child/parent who is also addicted.” I can’t believe he beat me to the punch. I guess I’d better get my ass in gear and write more chapters, huh?

Just promise me one thing: if I ever DO manage to finish and get published – buy my book and drop Oprah an e-mail about how the female version of “A Million Little Pieces” deserves to be in her Book Club too.

(Side note: As much as I’m loathe to admit it, I did order said book, and am looking forward to reading it. I’m just pissed he beat me to the punch and is now rich and happy and I’m still working for Satan and not a guest on Oprah.)

6 comments:

Tim Hillegonds said...

Harried...

Frey's story is no where near your story. Frey takes addiction to a level that few have gone out of. It's one of the best books I have ever read and one of the reasons I took so long to write "Vodka Flavored Tears." Addiction is a timeless story that never gets old. You'll have a different perspective once you read how it's done. It's insane, intense, and arguably, the best book i have ever read.

Tim Hillegonds said...

I didnt mean to discourage your story if it sounded like i was but when you read it you'll realize that TBOTE and Pieces are like apples and oranges. That's all. Rock on with TBOTE because it's my fav blog story. Holla!

dasi said...

Don't worry, Tim - I already know they are completely different. For one - I have never been to jail (let alone 11 times) and I know his bottom was one which I (thankfully) never quite reached myself. As I said, actually, I am looking forward to reading it. In all honesty (tongue OUT of cheek now) seeing him just made me realize that I CAN do the writing, people DO want to read about it, and I hope to God I can reach (and dare I say possibly help) even a hundredth of the people he has. Didn't mean to offend, Tim! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oy, if I had a dime for every time someone beat me to the punch, it wouldn't matter that they had!

Any way, Tim is right. Your story would be different and just as interesting and compelling. It is, sadly, a timeless story and people never get tired of hearing.

Marissa said...

Of course I'll buy your book!! And yes, I'll send Oprah a note. ;) Will you do the same for me when my book comes out?! :) Haha. So "A Million Little Pieces" is an amazing read - it's like the most intense roller coaster ride you've ever been on. I'm anxious for you to read it and hear what you think - I finished it a few weeks ago. I'm onto his second book, "My Friend Leonard."

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

We should just hunt him down and kill him!

Kidding!

;)