Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Accusations & Lies

Ok, how ironic is it that barely a week after I wrote this little gem, the shit hits the fan? And I SWEAR I had nothing to do with it personally.

I am still waiting for my copy of the book to arrive, while in the meantime apparently millions of people will be returning theirs.

My take on this whole James Frey situation? I am pissed off. I am hurt. It makes me sick to my stomach, to be honest. Because as someone who has been there, it really bothers me. So many people commented after I wrote my tongue-in-cheek blog about Mr. Frey beating me to the punch that I was amazed. And interested. I was really looking forward to reading his book. I still am, but now it’s for a different reason. Originally I really wanted to hear his horrific yet amazing story. I wanted to know just how far he fell before he was able to get back up – and indeed, how he DID manage to get up. Because I know. And I know there is at least one other person who reads my blog who knows as well, and people like us, well, we love hearing stories of people who have made it through. It’s inspiring, and it makes us realize that we’re not alone, and that the shit we did that we thought was so horrible – well, there are other people out there who have done just as bad and sometimes worse. And they have learned to accept it and move on. Not forgetting their past, mind you, but learning from it – and vowing not to repeat it.

What Mr. Frey did (or shall I say, “is accused of doing,” because I feel compelled to give him the benefit of the doubt, despite all the mounting evidence against him) is really not that surprising for an addict. He lied. Hell, I lied. A lot. Back in the day, I could lie to you while looking you dead in the eye and believe it myself. But now? Not so much. And certainly not about something like this. Something that people all around the country have been holding onto, desperately seeking answers about loved ones in the throes of addiction, or about themselves, something that gave people the hope to “hold on” as Mr. Frey said, because if he had survived through all those 400+ pages of hell and is still around to talk about it – well, then, certainly your brother/sister/son/daughter/parent/friend can. Or YOU can.

But it’s not true. At least, not all of it. And I, for one, feel really… well, betrayed, I guess. Why would someone do that? Why in God’s name would anyone feel the need to embellish to that extent and climb on their soapbox extolling their virtuous rise from the ashes? Anyone who has lived through an addiction can tell you, everyone has their own bottom. Some worse than others. But that doesn’t make anyone’s situation any “easier” or “better.” Just because I personally never spent any time in jail doesn’t mean my life while using was any better than the convicted dealer’s. As an addict, you live in your own personal hell. There is no need to exaggerate. Just the fact that you are an addict is horrifying enough.

Most of you are regular readers, and are familiar with my “TBOTE” saga. Well, I want to go on record as saying that yes, this is a true story – to the extent of which I remember. In other words, if this ever were to actually get published, I would certainly include a disclaimer stating that it is a “novel based on factual events.” I try to be as honest as possible – but the fact is when you are on drugs you don’t always remember everything EXACTLY as it happened. Obviously, conversations and some minor events may have been the product of some literary license. BUT – I would never add a three month jail term or several arrests that never happened or (and this one is bad) the guilt over the death of a person I had no verifiable relation to… I write what actually happened, and only add minor details that may not be 100% accurate. Besides being disappointing, I find lies like those just plain stupid. How can you think that no one would ever find out?

Mr. Frey is scheduled to be on Larry King Live tonight, and I am very interested to see what he says. If he did lie, I want him to come clean and admit it. Like I said, I still plan on reading the book. I won’t even return it when I’m done. I just wish he would’ve thought this whole thing through before classifying his work as “nonfiction.” Yes, it packed a more powerful punch that way, but if it is as good as everyone says, he probably could’ve done just as well publishing it as a “novel based on factual events.”

Which mine will be. No surprise lies in “TBOTE,” I promise. But I’m pretty sure after this whole James Frey debacle, Oprah won’t have me on even if I ever DO get published. Bummer.

7 comments:

Miladysa said...

Please let us know what he says on tonight's show - we shall probaby find out here in 2016 if at all!

Tim Hillegonds said...

I've read just about everything I could find including the allegations The Smoking Gun made and I think it's too early to make the call and bash on him like you are. The book was originally pitched as a novel and turned down. It was rewritten and classified as a memoir, which Frey has disputed the entire time. His editor and publisher made the call to market the book without the disclaimer in the front because they felt there was enough truth to the book to do so without. In my opinion, it's ridiculous for America to undo the progress that so many have made from this book and this. So we villify him in public...ask yourself, does that make you feel better? No, it doesnt, it just fucks up a good thing. I really think you should do some more research before you pass judgment on him. Once you have all the facts, then you can make a better call on the matter.

Tim Hillegonds said...

Once again, I dont mean to sound like an asshole but I just think that hanging this guy out to dry because a small time website needs a publicity campaign is insane. America just bothers me sometimes.

Alice said...

just GREAT mr frey.... go and ruin it for dasi!! i was looking forward to your oprah appearance!!! :-)

Cheryl said...

It's very interesting to me because I am in a class on writing creative nonfiction and we had a discussion about this. It's ok to get creative with details. It's ok to embellish. I don't know about his downright lying.

Generally speaking James Frey strikes me as an asshole. That is whether or not her wrote a good book and it was a novel or memoir or kid's book. I will go on record saying that. I didn't have plans to read the book and now I really don't.

I don't think you'd have to call your stuff a novel, just give it the "based on actual events" or some disclaimer, which his publishers didn't even do!

Tim Hillegonds said...

Cheryl and anyone else who cares.

I can see where you coming from. At the same time as a struggling young author I cant say that if things played out the way they did for Frey, I wouldnt have done the same thing. You write a book and you pitch it to Nan Talese, someone who gives instant credibility to your book and she tells you to change it, you have a decision to make. You listen to Nan and you break into the industry or you dont and you have that hanging over your head. He took a shot, changed his book, kept his message, and helped 1000's of people. He stands by his message and he should. Its his book, it's his life. He has the acronym FTBSITTTD tattood on his arm. Fuck the bullshit its time to throw down. He cant back down, it's not his style.

Cheryl said...

Hey, I seriously don't have an issue with how much of the book is true or not. I am a writer I understand that the lines are not clearly defined. I just don't want to read the book, partly just because it's an Oprah book and usuall (9 times out of 10) I HATE her books.