Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year, New You

So here it is, another new year. Ok, four days into it. Lexie and I rang in the new year with friends of ours playing Scene It (obviously, I won the TV Trivia version) and drinking Twisted V's. Well, Lexie didn't drink Twisted V's. She drank sprite. But I digress.

We all ended up staying up too late and talking, even the kids. It seems Miss Lexie finally gave up at around 3:00 am, and the last time I looked at the clock it was 6:00 am. (Haven't done that in YEARS, and don't plan to again anytime soon!) We spent New Year's Day at my dad's and the day after Lex and I hibernated straight through. So all in all, it was a nice weekend.

I'm not big on resolutions, basically because I feel that any time is a good time to make positive changes in your life. But I will admit that like most of the people in this world, a new year does invoke that feeling of "starting over" and "cleaning the slate." So I may not make resolutions, but every year I DO try to make changes sometime within the first few months of the year. Case in point: I quit smoking on January 16, 2004. Not quite on the new year, but in the new year while it was still pretty new. I usually get my ass in gear and exercise a lot more in the first few months as well. And I start pondering things like "Will I be able to fit into the shorts I haven't fit into for the last decade that I still won't throw out this summer?" and "Will I possibly meet a man who doesn't look like Shrek and doesn't act like Deuce Bigelow?" and "If I manage to use my ENTIRE tax return to pay off some of my credit cards, how many years will it take to finish paying them off?" (By the way, the answers generally remain the same each year: no; no; and 'like you EVER use your entire tax return check to pay bills!')

Well, this year I have made a few decisions. NOT resolutions, because I don't do resolutions. But I HAVE decided to stick with my program at Curves AT LEAST three times a week (besides, now that I have befriended the trainer, I am pretty much screwed if I don't go), and have also decided that IF I lose the weight I'd like to by the summertime, I am going to cut my hair. Because I am getting sick of it, it is too long and doesn't do anything. AND it costs too much to get highlighted every three months. Oh, and? If you are a guy reading this, before you even say it, I DON'T CARE. Why is it that guys always say, "DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR!!!!! GUYS LOVE LONG HAIR!!!!" I am 37 and still single, and have had long hair most of my life, so obviously that little "factoid" doesn't really merit too much consideration. Besides, I donĂ‚’t plan on going short-short. Just about shoulder length, which would mean cutting off about 8". Maybe I'll donate it to Locks of Love. (Is that tax-deductible? How much is hair worth, anyway?) Then again, maybe I won't lose any weight at all and will decide to leave my hair alone. But that is doubtful - because I'm pretty much being forced into exercising by Briesen (trainer friend at Curves) and by doing so have also found myself with more energy and less of an appetite. Therefore, as long as I want to be Briesen's friend, I have to stick with the program. And I kind of like the kid.

I have also decided not to be quite so closed off when it comes to dating. Which basically only means that I may not constantly insist that I am destined to be alone with my cats. I still believe in only dating people who I feel some kind of spark with, I am definitely NOT a "give him a chance, you may be surprised" person. I don't like being surprised, and I am old enough to know what I like. But I will TRY not to give off the "keep away, I'm not interested" vibe. I realize I have my own issues when it comes to relationships (i.e. I tend to sabotage the good ones), but based on my history (most recently Mr. South Side) who can blame me? So maybe this year serendipity will lead me to my Mr. Right, but if not, whatever. Oh, and? Funny thing is I've already agreed to a date with someone I have no interest in. A friend of the friends whose house we spent NYE at. He asked if I'd like to go out sometime on New Year's morning, and being half-asleep, slightly hungover and caught wayyyy off guard, I said, "Ok," and gave him my number. Note to self: watch caller ID and stay reallllly busy. Because honestly? He is a nice guy but no sparks. At all. And like I said - I know what I like. I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or get my friends upset with me for not wanting to go out with him. So second note to self: talk to friends and explain situation. Maybe they can handle this FOR you!!

So there you have it. Ultimate goal: Be thin and toned with shorter hair by summertime, which may just be when Mr. Wonderful strolls into my life (and I won't send him bad vibes). Aaaaaaaaaannd... BEGIN!

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good luck! I also agree with making changes when it strikes us and not just because it's the new year. I have a good feeling about 2006 for you!

Miladysa said...

Go Dasi! :)

Amber said...

See, I'm either going to grow my hair really long or cut it short again. I do love me with short hair, and I've never had longer than shoulder length hair, so either could be good.

Good Luck!! I have confidence that you will reach the goals you set...

Okie said...

Hello, Dasi. It's your hair, do whatever YOU'd like to do with it. A woman happy with herself is sexy no matter how long her hair is. Thanks for dropping in at my place today. Happy New Year!

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Ok... I won't say it...

;)

NotCarrie said...

Highly recommend cutting your hair. I had long hair for ever and am so happy with it shorter (shoulder length)!

(P.S. I want to play TV Scene It so badly!)

AvR said...

I actually was thinking what a shame it is, because I love long hair, but my love is probably more conceptual than actual: I can only imagine how labor intensive it must be to style it daily. It takes me twenty minutes at least, but of course that's expected of my ilk. Products, products, products. Anyway, I wish you well with your "resolutions". I'm trying to stick with an exercise program myself.

Anonymous said...

Long hair is super sexy on most women, but if you're sick of it, so be it. Just don't expect most guys to rave about your new cut. Long is almost always more beautiful on a woman, but you own your hair. As for Locks of Love, don't waste your time. The hair is sold!