Friday, January 27, 2006

The Beginning of the End, Part 19

I was right about Marc becoming a more frequent visitor. The thing was, I really didn’t mind. He was actually a really nice guy, and between him and Kevin, we were always laughing. I almost forgot that he even used at all, because his general routine was come in, socialize, head for the bathroom, take off outside, then return to hang out. He seldom shared the pipe with us, instead he actually seemed to really just enjoy our company. I think Marc was simply the type of person who liked being around other people. And from what I was able to piece together about his life, he didn’t have the best home environment.

His mother was an alcoholic and his father was abusive. He started getting high with his older brother, who had left home a few months ago. Things were really tense in his household, and he used every excuse not to be there. He hated his father for hitting his mom, hated his mom for drinking the violence out of her mind, hated himself for not doing anything about it. He hadn’t talked to his brother since he left, and wasn’t even sure where he was. We apparently were Marc’s escape, and had no problem with that. At least, Kevin and I didn’t.

Matt, on the other hand, was once again going through his “Kevin is MY best friend” phase, and started getting more and more upset every time Marc showed up. Finally, he gave Kevin an ultimatum: either tell Marc to quit coming by or he was leaving. I held my breath and silently rooted for Marc. Kevin looked at Matt, shrugged, and said, “See ya.”

Kevin never told Marc why Matt was no longer staying with us, and when Marc did ask, he just changed the subject. Neither of us wanted Marc to feel like he had caused any problems. He had enough on his mind already. Marc almost reminded me of a stray puppy, eager to make everyone happy, never in a bad mood no matter what his situation.

One day Marc had come over after working a day shift and was hanging out with Kevin when I returned from the Olive Garden. They had apparently just scored, as Kevin was busily gathering the “cooking utensils” and Matt was already in the bathroom. I tossed my apron on the bed and started counting the tips I had made for the night.

“Hey, babe?” Kevin asked. “Think you can run to 7-11 and get me a 40? I spent all my money on this…”

I sighed. It hadn’t been such a great night tip-wise, and I was tired and just wanted a hit and my bed. I had to work again the next day during the lunch shift, and really needed to get some sleep.

“Only if you PROMISE that this will be an early night,” I warned.

“Babe!” Kevin exclaimed, faking indignance. “What do you think the beer is for? It mellows me out. I didn’t get a lot tonight, so I promise it will be an early night.”

“Fine,” I mumbled, turning for the door. Then I stopped and spun to look at him. “And DON’T try telling me you only got one hit out of that!”

Kevin grinned at me. “I’ll save you AT LEAST two. I promise.”

He looked as sincere as he could look, for Kevin, at least, so I started to turn back for the door. As I did, the bathroom door opened, and Marc rushed past me and out into the night.

“First one?” I asked Kevin.

He nodded. “Yeah. You know he usually doesn’t even do more than one…”

I shrugged, “Yeah, but you never know.”

Marc had left the door slightly open, so I slipped out and shut it behind me. It was a cool night, but not cold. I looked around the parking lot for Marc, but he was nowhere in sight. With a sigh, I crossed the parking lot to the 7-11. Thank God it’s just across the lot, I thought, for the millionth time since we had moved into our room. The store was empty save for he clerk, and he smiled at me in recognition as I walked to the cooler and took out a 40 oz generic beer. The brand never mattered to Kevin, so I always got the cheapest. As an afterthought, I grabbed a bottled water for myself.

I paid for the beverages and walked back out into the night. The streetlights cast a soft glow causing shadows to dance in the corners of the buildings. For some reason, I suddenly felt a little nervous. I held the paper bag closer to my chest and started to walk a little faster.

“Hey!”

I must have jumped ten feet in the air, and my heart almost leapt out of my chest. But when I turned to face my “assailant,” I was met with laughing eyes and an amused grin. It was Marc.

“You scared the SHIT out of me!” I said, still trying to catch my breath.

“Sorry,” he said. And he really did look sorry, as his smile vanished upon noticing my fear.

“S’ok,” I mumbled, now actually feeling a little foolish. We were standing next to a large van parked in the lot across from our room, and I leaned against it.

Marc leaned too, facing me. “So tell me about you and Kevin,” he said.

I blinked. “What?”

“You and Kevin. How did you guys meet? How long have you been together?” he closed the gap between us. “Why are you still with him?”

Suddenly, my heart was beating faster not from fear, but from nervous anticipation. I knew what was going to happen, and was having mixed thoughts on how to react. You’re Kevin’s girlfriend! Yes, but Marc is so cute… Marc is a junkie! Oh, and Kevin’s not?? Before I could think anything else, Marc was leaning in and our lips met.

I hadn’t kissed anyone other than Kevin since Mitch way back in Chicago and Marc had incredibly soft lips. I melted into him and the kiss became more urgent as he ran his fingers through my hair. Oh, God, he kisses so GOOD, I thought, Kevin is a good kisser, but THIS… Suddenly my eyes snapped open and I pulled away.

Marc looked at me and cocked his head. “I would be so much better for you. I would treat you like a queen. And I know you felt the same chemistry I did with that kiss…”

“Marc, I can’t,” I insisted. God, would my heart EVER stop pounding?

“Why?” he asked. “I could take care of you. I’ll quit slamming. We could have a good life.” He reached out and touched my cheek. “I think I’ve loved you from the first time I saw you.”

I stepped back, away from his hand. It was burning my cheek. There was no doubt about it, I did feel the chemistry, and that was why I was so scared. I belonged with Kevin, I barely knew Marc, and I couldn’t do this. I wanted to, but I couldn’t.

“No, we have to go back,” I stammered. “We should just forget about this whole thing.” I started to walk around the van towards the room.

Marc walked behind me closely. “I can’t just forget you, you know,” he breathed into my neck. “But I won’t tell Kevin. You’ll realize he’s wrong for you soon enough.”

I threw him an annoyed glare over my shoulder and kept walking.

I could hear the grin in his voice. “Or maybe you already do.”

We reached the room and I opened the door and walked in, with Marc right behind me. Kevin exhaled a cloud of smoke.

“Hey! I was beginning to think you left me,” he said with a smile.

I could feel myself blushing. Marc put his arm around me. “Yeah, I almost had her convinced,” he said, squeezing my shoulder.

Kevin laughed. Marc laughed. And I slid out from Marc’s arm and walked over to Kevin.

“Here’s your beer,” I said, handing him the bottle. “And I really need a hit.”

7 comments:

Amber said...

Totally. What Hope said. That was a GREAT installment!!

Deirdre said...

Ahh, now I can sleep easy again... Great Chapter!

Pivoney said...

I like him already.

Mr. Khurram said...

You 've such Unique way to write, No one can fel bore here. *smiles*

God bless you....

Alice said...

AAHHHH!!! oh the drama! dasi, you need to take a month off work and ONLY WRITE TBOTE installments, ok???

Tim Hillegonds said...

Still reading. It's going well. Slamming...glad I stayed away from that...

Miladysa said...

Addictive! This really is an eye opener for me Dasi, thank you.