Thursday, January 12, 2006

Last Post on the Subject (But I Still Feel Strongly About It) - For Now, At Least

This whole James Frey thing is giving me a headache. I really wish I would get the book so I can read it and hopefully understand him more. If you want to know what was said last night on Larry King, you can read the transcript here. At this point, I stand behind everything I have said in my last post. I know it upset some people (Timmortal), but as much as I respect his opinion, I also know he respects mine enough to agree to disagree on the matter.

Just to make clear, I am NOT trying to belittle what Mr. Frey has done as far as inspiring other addicts, families of addicts, and people in general. I am NOT saying the man is a complete fraud. I have no doubt he has gone through his own personal hell and lived to tell about it. I just wish he had not felt the need to "embellish" the way he did and peddle it as the truth.

Before you join the masses and insist it was his publisher's fault, and that he had originally tried to sell his work as fiction, the bottom line remains: he knew there were some MAJOR "embellishments" and did nothing to remove or rectify these in his book or in any subsequent interviews - until he got caught. Until all this shit hit the fan, I don't even think anyone was aware that this was originally intended to be sold as a work of fiction, so his claim that "I tried to do the right thing" falls on deaf ears to this writer. This was marketed and sold as a memoir - NONFICTION, and although the majority of it probably is, there are major episodes, even some crucial episodes, apparently, that are not.

I always give credit where credit is due, and I believe Mr. Frey deserves all the praise he is getting for this book. I believe it IS helping a lot of people, and it IS (well, I am going by what I hear, here) and excellent book. But I just think it is a shame that something as ridiculous and easily avoided as lying about "facts" so quickly discovered to be false wound up drawing so much scrutiny on the rest of his life.

Listen to your mothers, kiddies, always tell the TRUTH. Unless, of course, you are in the fiction biz.

6 comments:

Tim Hillegonds said...

This is meant nicely and as a friend.

I just think it's ridiculous you have an opinion on a book you havent even read.

Thanks for the link to the transcript.

dasi said...

Hey Tim - I don't have an opinion on the book as of yet. I DO, however, have an opinion on someone who has deliberately misled millions of people. I have said over and over that I am honestly looking forward to reading the book, and I am sure I will probably love it as well, for that matter. But the fact remains that several key issues have definitively been discredited, and I don't need to read the book to understand what that means. He admitted it himself. I am not saying that he is a bad person, I'm saying he made a bad call. I understand your need to defend him - but it really isn't necessary. Bottom line - he made a mistake, it's out in the open, and I doubt he'll ever do it again. To reiterate, I'm sure he is very talented, and I know the root of his story is true (which is the most important part), but with all due respect, I still can't help but feel disappointment in the PERSON (not in the book) for NOT "fucking the bullshit" (as it says on his arm) and instead publishing it.

Still friends, though, right Tim?? ;)

Tim Hillegonds said...

Awww yeah, I rather enjoyed this little exchange. I defend him because he helped me in a way. I was there, I was at Hazelden, I heard the screams in the night and I stood in the bathroom he puked in. I buy into his thinking because it works for me. I "fuck the bullshit, its time to throw down." When I read the book I was like, Holy shit, this guys alot like me.

I think his prose is absolutely genius and I think his involvement in American literature is crucial. We needed this, we needed a wake up call to the realities of life. We have enough great American novelist, we needed someone, the Eminem of literature to come out. He overcame adddciton, he lived a hard life and he wrote a good motherfucking couple of books.

I am not now, nor ever was, mad at you for your position. I admire and respect it and I'm glad you stood by what you said becasue it shows some fucking character.

Thanks Dasi. Holla!!

dasi said...

Tim - how about if I just say "ditto?" lol I haven't been this hot & bothered in a long time, and it's kind of cool that it was because of a younger guy with arms like yours... ;)

You always need something to hang on to in recovery - I don't want to try to take that away from you. Ever. And when I DO finish that book, we can discuss it again in a more rational manner, ok?

Is it sixteen days now? Or fifteen? Either way - as James Frey would say: "hang on." But I already know you will, because that's who you are.

Mr. Khurram said...

Well, Every body got their own opinion. But I do agree with you. you point is clear that you 're not talkin' just about book but about the person who misled many 'n' so many people. Even he admits he did it, anway.

Thankyou for such Nice comments on my Blog. Do visit me again. I hope you 're doin' good.

God bless you....

Cheryl said...

Wow, I almost don't want to get involved in this. Separate corners now. I can see your point Dasi. He gets artistic license with his work, but how far does that stretch?