Thursday, March 09, 2006

Help Wanted (And No, I DIDN'T Quit)

I know, I know. TBOTE, right? You all are chomping at the bit to read the next installment. Tomorrow, ok? One way or another. I just need to be in a certain mindframe – and uninterrupted – to write those, and it’s been a bit difficult this week. Have to write posts a little at a time so as not to incur the wrath of Satan (i.e., “get caught not doing actual work”). Anyway, I figured I would use today’s post to hopefully get some help from my fellow bloggers.

Here’s the thing – as most of you know, it is my desire to eventually get TBOTE published. And since this little project has snowballed thanks to my loyal readers (and several new ones) who make sure I don’t just STOP writing mid-story (as I have tended to do when writing anything strictly for myself), I really think it could happen. So I have all these big dreams of telling off Satan and maybe not quitting work FOREVER, but possibly earning enough to take time off and find a new job – OR maybe even never “working” again and just writing as a REAL JOB. But to do that, I need to figure out just HOW this publishing game works.

So, I bought me a Writer’s Market, being the savvy author-wannabe that I am. But in looking through it, I find myself perplexed. The big publishing houses whose names I recognize do not accept unsolicited manuscripts. Also, they only deal with agents. Smaller publishing houses I have never heard of do accept unsolicited manuscripts – but is that the smart route to take? I have BIG DREAMS, people. And I wonder if my dreams can be achieved without someone big in the business backing me. If my only goal were to see my name in print, I would happily pawn my story off to anyone who asked. But see, I am too broke, too tired of struggling, and too determined to settle just for that. I want my hard work to pay off. Really, who doesn’t?

My father suggested I start submitting to publishers now – but I know that my story still has a ways to go. And if by some fluke a house says “Cool, we love this – send us the rest now” I’d be screwed. (Although I recall a show from several years ago with Tony Shaloub as a writer and Neil Patrick Harris as his editor – and boy, did Doogie help Monk get his writing done! And he made Monk’s books flow better, too. I think I may need a Doogie.)

So, do y’all get what I’m asking?? WHAT DO I DO?? Agent, publisher, nothing at all… Do I start looking before the finished product or after? How do I approach these people? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will reward you for reading about my dilemma with this little tease…

I spent the night in the hospital with Kevin never leaving my side. In the morning, we were visited by a detective from the Reno PD.

“Based on the information you provided, we were able to do a door-to-door at the apartment complex you remembered being at,” he began.

I could feel my heart racing as Kevin squeezed my hand.

“We think we got the guy.”


That’s it! For today, at least. You can read the next chapter in its entirety sometime tomorrow. See you then!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to learn how to write a book query. Look in the Writer's Market you bought and see if there's not an article on it. If not, look for the Writer's Market Companion. That almost positively has at least one. Also, this is going to be a long, painful process filled with rejection. Get your mind around that now. Even as good a book as this will be will get turned down before it gets sold. See if you can find a writer's group in your area, too. They might have resources you can use, like names of agents who will work with new authors. Again, check Writer's Market for that, too.
You might get a couple copies of Writer's Digest Magazine, too. They often have ads for writer's conferences that might connect you to an agent. But, really, finish the manuscript first. Don't get distracted from the writing with the technical stuff like I did. It'll come, when you're ready.
If you want to talk about it, you can hit my site and leave a comment marked PRIVATE. Just make sure to give a good e-mail address.
Good luck!

Miladysa said...

I have no idea Dasi but seems like NG has given some good advice and an offer of help :)

Good luck and fingers crossed X

Anonymous said...

Yes, sadly, I know a little bit about the way publishing works. It's rather disheartening if you look too closely at it. Still, there is a process that most books go through to get to publication. And, I'd be happy to help any way I can.
Also, I just finished a fairly inspirational book about a writer called "The Choice" by Og Mandino. Well worth reading, Dasi.

Cheryl said...

Woops missed this one. Get an agent. They are the foot in the door that writers need. Especially if you have a book. You want a bigger company for money for yourself and for the marketing behind the book too, and getting the right people to read it, like the NY Times.

There are websites and books on getting agents. Try google and I will see if I can refind some information for you. For either one, you don't need the book, just a few chapters. It's ok if the project isn't complete. They will probably assume that it is in progress. Sometimes they prefer it that way.

Also, try some other resources. Like the magazine Poets and Writers. Maybe take a class or find a group to help workshop the piece and get some people you trust to edit it too. Hope that helps.