Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Ahhh, the Memories!

There’s nothing better than going about your day, in just an average ho-hum kind of mood, and then seeing something that makes you smile. In that “HA! Does THAT bring back memories” kind of way. Really brightens things up, you know? That happened yesterday. I was standing in this restaurant waiting to pick up dinner, which wasn’t quite ready yet. So, like any normal person, I started just looking around, spacing out, checking my watch – the usual. Then I noticed that the front counter was decorated with those “Muscular Dystrophy” Shamrocks. You know – the ones you get to write your name on if you donate a buck? There were dozens of them. I started reading the names: “Annie,” “Bill & Sue,” “The Smith Family.” Then came the smile. Actually, it was more of a choked-back giggle. Because apparently “Abe Froman” had donated a buck.

(Ok, at this point, if you do NOT know who “Abe Froman” is, you might want to just stop reading. No offense, of course, but he’s kind of the gist of this whole post. Then again, if you don’t know yet have the DESIRE to find out, by all means, continue.)

Abe Froman, Sausage King of Chicago. Who knew that he even was still around after all these years? Actually, I’m not even 100% sure he was around when Ferris used his name to get himself, the lovely Sloane, and paranoid Cameron a seat at the swanky Chez Quis. We never did see him, after all. That name brought back some pretty good memories, though. Singing “Twist and Shout” on the parade float, catching a ball at Wrigley… ahh, the good old days.

As much as I enjoy the movies that are out today, there’s nothing like the classic 80’s flicks. They just don’t make them like they used to. I’ll bet if I throw out a few quotes there will be plenty of you who can name the movie – probably even the character. And I wouldn’t be surprised if some of you could even name the next line. That’s how much fun 80’s movies are. Let’s try it, shall we? I promise I’ll keep it simple.

“Screws fall out, the world’s an imperfect place.”

“What’s-a-happening, hotstuff?”

“That chick Julie, she’s truly dazzling.”

“I’ve been slimed.”

“I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen.”

“Nobody puts Baby in the corner.”

“I’ll have what she’s having.”

“ASSSSSSSHOLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE!” (said while showing a car almost getting in an accident)

“Hello? McFly? Anyone home?”

“‘I thought only pansies wore ties.’ ‘See that? I thought only assholes used the word pansies.’”

Ok, that’s enough. I wish I could convince Lexie to watch more 80’s movies. She seems to think they are “old movies.” GAAAAAH!! Something must be done about that horrible way of thinking. I have, however, gotten her to watch plenty of 80’s and early 90’s sitcoms – she loves those. Gotta work on the movies, though. Come on, people, they’re CLASSICS!!

Sigh. I love nostalgia. I think I will go and listen to one of my 80’s compilation CDs. Oh – and on a somewhat related note – some jerk commented on Timmortal’s blog that my hairstyle was outdated… Please tell me that straight hair parted on the side isn’t outdated yet… I have very long, very thick hair, and no real “hairstyle,” so I’m at a loss for what exactly this moron thinks I’ve done to it. I guess maybe if you were an idiot, you might not realize that my head is tilted down, and therefore it may KIND OF look like I have poofy hair (as I admittedly did in above referenced 80’s), but I swear to you, it is just thick, long, and flat. Although if any of MY readers think the pic sucks or my hair looks freaky, please do tell and I will search for another. Ok. End of rant. Time for some Duran Duran. Later!

4 comments:

Alice said...

i would have to have a "hairstyle" to begin with to have it be "outdated." as it stands, stringy, limp hair has NEVER been in style, but then again isn't relegated to a specific era so much either, so.. uh... i guess i lose no matter what :-)

also, i am embarassed to say that i did not know who abe froman until you gave me a few more references... then YEAH DEFINITELY OH GOD I LOVE THAT MOVIE TOO :-)

Amanda said...

i was going to write the same thing hope wrote. i knew abe froman instantly! brilliant.

i love the scene when cameron is in his little white car and he says..."i'll go i'll go i'll go i'll go i'll go i'll go...shit!"

Amber said...

"When Cameron was in Egypt lannnnnnnd...let my Cameron goooooo."

And WHAT have we talked about regarding the jerk on Tim's blog?We IGNORE the IGNORANT.

Cheryl said...

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. That is great. I think some day Lexie will like the movies, give her til high school, then make her watch them!

Those people at Timmortal's blog were grasping at straws and just being jerks. don't worry about anything they say.