Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Cheesy Poems

The following are a couple poems I wrote when I was fifteen – and obviously had TOTALLY figured out the whole “love” thing… or so I thought! I’m posting them today for Amber, and for anyone else who cares. I know they’re cheesy, but remember, I was FIFTEEN!

“Clinging To A Dream”

When first I saw your handsome face
I knew it must be true
You’d be the guy with whom I’d share
My hopes and troubles, too.
I fell in love with you so fast
You soon became my god
But things you did would sometimes seem
Oh so very odd.
One day it seemed you loved me too
And then the next, no more
You always hurt me very much
Sometimes I’d think “What for?”
I’d wonder why I’d take so much
From you or any guy
But then you’d call and act so calm
My heart would soar and fly.
Soon I would forget the things
You went and did to me
But often times I’d sit and think
“When will the next time be?”
Of course, that time comes very soon
Acting cool I’d try
But actually when I’d go home
I’d just sit down and cry.
I wish our love was ours forever
Not just from time to time
Cause in my heart the things you do
Are such an awful crime.
I wish that you would notice
I wish that you would care
I wish that you would realize
That love is really there.
Someday you WILL realize
And hold me close and beam
But as for now I’ll stay like this
Clinging to a dream.

Side note: The guy I wrote this for totally broke my heart after a whole three month relationship – he wound up dating my (EX) best friend while I was still mourning. The funny thing is that I found out about ten years ago he’s gay – so now I don’t feel so bad!

“Poem #2 (Unnamed)”

The only guy girls ever love
Is the one that they can’t get
It never fails, they fall quite hard
On him, their heart is set.
I don’t know why, but it is true,
Just look around and see
All the girls think all the time
“Why doesn’t he love ME?”
I wish I knew the reason why
Because I’ve fallen too
In doing so I soon found out
There’s not much you can do.
You cannot make him jealous
And flirt with other guys
He’ll only laugh and say “Good luck”
It’s a trick he’ll never buy.
You can’t come out and tell him
All your feelings deep inside
Cause then he’ll get embarrassed
From you, he’ll always hide.
You can’t say “Oh, well, let’s be friends”
Cause then your chance is done
Your dream will die and then you’ll think
“He was the only one.”
But you can hold on to wishes
And fantasize each day
Maybe someday he’ll come around
And see all things your way.
Maybe someday he’ll love you back
Though many don’t, you know
But hold on tight and take your chance
If you really love him so.

Gosh, my love life was so much more exciting (yet angst ridden) when I was a teenager! I’m not sure whether I should miss those days or be glad they’re over!!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Dasi! I LOVED these!! First of all, I'm impressed that you wrote these when you were fifteen -- how insightful you were for being so young. And, as a word nerd, I'm so happy that rhyming flows and is consistent. *pushes glasses up on nose and snorts*

Thanks for posting those for me -- you're so sweet.

Alice said...

those are so fabulous and angsty (and yet TRUE)!! haha... loved them, loved them! (and in addition to amber's comments, i highly appreciate that the cadence of each line fits. hooray for nerds!)

Marissa said...

So sweet!!! I used to write poems when I was a teenager too. Hmm, I should go dig those up!

Amanda said...

dasi, i love these, too...
and i also just wanted to say that your comments on my blog as of late have really meant a lot to me. thanks for your insight and your encouragement. really.

dasi said...

Yes, I was always compelled to make sure that my poems "flowed" perfectly. It really bothered me if they weren't in that "da DE da DE da DE da" style!! lol No "freestyle poetry" for me!!

And to all of you - thanks for the comments and support - and keep in mind that everything you all write both on your blogs AND in my comments really means a lot. (Wiping tear from my eye) Cyberspace blogging pals - I LOVE YOU ALL!! (*sniff*)