Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Being the Bigger (Wo)Man

Ok, Timmortal and all you other south siders out there, this one’s for you. And I think you’re gonna like it. Although may I first say that typing these words is literally KILLING me, but after much soul searching, I have decided to be the better man. Well, the better woman, actually.

After listening to our Governor, the numerous Sox fans both on tv and at the office, and my brother (not necessarily in that order), I have decided to no longer bash the White Sox. I will no longer cheer for the other team, I will no longer get pissed off with every Chicago home run hit in the Cell. I will TRY not to make White Sox fan jokes (that one may be pretty difficult, though considering… JUMP BACK! See, it’s automatic, I can’t help myself!!), and I will actually be happy if the Sox go all the way. I may not cheer for them openly, but I will not curse them, either.

As the Gov said, I will NOT wear a Sox cap or jersey, because I am still, and always will be, a die-hard Cub fan. But the fact of the matter is that the Cubs are not in the World Series, and the Sox are, and as long as they aren’t playing each other… well, I guess I can suck it up and be happy for the south side. (Somebody better check – I think Hell just froze over…) Now, before you all start gloating and being all “Sox Rule!” and everything, keep in mind that this does NOT change the fact that the Cubbies are my guys, and always will be, no matter what place they wind up in each season. I will always prefer them to the Sox, and I will probably never set foot inside the Cell. Even if I was handed front row by the dugout seats for the deciding game of the World Series, I would not go. (Hell, I would SELL them!! Are you NUTS?? I could practically pay off my mortgage with the asking price for those!!)

Besides, as my brother pointed out, it is not being disloyal to the Cubs if they have already been eliminated. As much as I hate to admit it, I’m sure that Kerry and Jeromy and Nomar are supporting their cross-town rivals as well. So I am grudgingly becoming not necessarily a “fan,” but a “supporter.” Another thing my brother said (which is the fun part) is that if I, as a Cub fan, show support for the White Sox, it will confuse the hell out of some of them. For example, if I were, say, in a bar during a game wearing my Cub bracelet or sweatshirt or just commenting on the Cubs, obviously advertising my loyalty, and a die-hard Sox fan came up and started digging on me, I could look at him (or her) and calmly say, “Yes, I am a Cub fan, but I totally support the Sox. I really hope they win it all for the city.” And then what would that Sox fan say? “Cubs Suck!” probably, but a little more weakly and with confusion. Because that is not the attitude Sox fans are used to from Cub fans.

So, in a nutshell, I am letting go, turning it over, taking one day at a time (a few little phrases I learned from a different addiction, but it works well with baseball-team addictions, too). One day at a time, that is, until it’s the Cubs’ turn to make the city proud again.

(Ahem) Go White Sox.

9 comments:

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I'm impressed... I'm kind of neutral at this point... I'm not sure who I like in the series this year. But to be really honest I really want to see the Cubbies in it soon!

Tim Hillegonds said...

You gotta give props where props are due. The way I look at is this. I'm not a lesbian but I still cheer for them when they make out in front of me. That's the attitude you need to adapt. If we didnt have the Sox, we could never have the Cubs. Could you imagine a city of all Cub fans. North Halsted would run run rampant!!! OH MY GOD! We just couldnt have it. Welcome to the land of the good guys. It's nice to see you.

Alice said...

you are a better woman than i. for example? i am a ny giants fan. in nj, you basically support either the giants, the jets, or the eagles. yet when the giants were eliminated last year and the eagles went on to the superbowl, i ROOTED AGAINST THOSE EAGLEY BASTARDS with all my might. raarrrrrr

Amber said...

I think baseball is boring, so I support no teams. Especially since the CO team SUCKS!!

Gimme some Avalanche Hockey and I'm happy though!

Pivoney said...

I say stick to your guns, honor your cubbies, and stay off the bandwagon.

I learned a couple of years ago that no matter what, I cannot support the cubbies. Steve Bartman to me is an angel sent from the heavens to keep order in this world.

As a cubbie fan you must pray that the 2005 American League Champion White Sox do not win the world series because that would leave you without a doubt the worst franchise in Major League baseball. If the Sox don't win (God forbid) at least you have someone to share your misery.

GO WHITE SOX!!!

Pivoney said...

KW - You stay off the bandwagon too.

Anonymous said...

"until it’s the Cubs’ turn to make the city proud again." - ????

Have I missed something? "Again"? When was the first time that Chicago was proud of the Cubs? When the organization failed to produce back-to-back .500+ seasons from the end of Nixon's first term to the end of W's first term? When the organization got caught scalping tickets to its fans through a subsidiary? When the organization extended the outfield fences and draped tarps over them to keep a few hundred people from catching the game across the street from the ballpark? Is it how the Cubs organization treats Cubs fans like a California power company during a supply shortage (“they’ve got money, we’ll take them for all their worth!”)?

Have I missed something along the way or do Cubs fans know some secret they’re not telling the rest of us about?

dasi said...

GEEZ!! Who knew I would be opening such a can of worms??? First of all - I am not on the bandwagon - I will not openly cheer or celebrate for the Sox. I will, however, refrain from bashing them, and wish them well. (Although Ausmus DID toss my daughter a baseball at the last Cubs game we were at, so I'm kind of pulling for the Astros.) And know what doc? It's not the Cubs that make those decisions you are talking about, and while I agree the suits are a pain in the ass, THEY are not the team.

I'm talking about the players - and they DO make us proud, whether they win or lose. More so since they dumped Sosa. AND, don't forget that in the last five years, the Cubs have had a better record than the Sox in 3 out of those 5 years, 2001, 2003 and 2004. With players who play their hearts out for their fans - and earn the cheers they hear at Wrigley every season, win OR lose. The Cubs made us proud in 2003 - Bartman or no Bartman - and they WILL do it again.

Funny how the Cell can only sell out when it's the postseason... Wrigley sells out EVERY GAME, no matter what place the Cubs are in. Loyalty, my friend. You can say what you want about the Cubs, but they've got the true Cubbie blue fans who back them no matter what, and I'm one of them.

But thanks for your input.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Dasi, I can't even say that about my beloved Phillies... When they were in the cellar, they couldn't give away tickets for home games.