Thursday, August 25, 2005

We Have Clearance, Clarence!!

Ok, I know on Monday I promised I would have something BIG on Thursday. And I didn’t forget. It’s just that things like what happened at lunch yesterday aren’t everyday occurrences, so I HAD to write about that. Of course, I also HAVE to write about this – and I finally have clearance. So…

GUESS WHAT? GUESS WHAT? GUESS WHAT?

I am going to be an AUNT! Yes, my favorite (and only) brother Bob and his lovely wife, my favorite (and only) sister-in-law are expecting at the end of February. And they are celebrating their first anniversary this coming Monday. So, happy anniversary – honeymoon’s over! Ha ha ha. Seriously, I am so very excited about this. They told us on Sunday, and it was KILLING me not being able to write about it. But out of respect for Bob and Sarah, and keeping in mind that a number of his fellow Speaker City-ites are faithful readers (at least, I HOPE they still are!), I kept my cyber-mouth shut. He told me on Monday that I had to wait at least two days, then I could tell whoever I wanted. I was nice and gave him three, and now I am alerting the whole world!!

MY BABY BROTHER IS GOING TO BE SOMEBODY’S DAD!!

Hmmm. That is kind of a scary thought. Not that he won’t be an awesome dad, because I know for sure he will be (just ask Roxy, she thinks he is the best uncle EVER), but just the fact that there is going to be someone in this world who was actually CREATED by my baby brother is kind of weird. A little Bob. A mini-me. I think back to when Bob was a kid, and I can only hope that Sarah’s genes are strong ones. JUST KIDDING, BOB!! You know I love you! (But for the kid’s sake…)

Seriously – this is a really exciting time for them, and me, and Roxy, and my parents, and Sarah’s family… and I really can’t wait to meet the little person. And I REALLY can’t wait to be the cool Aunt Dasi, just like my bro was always the cool Uncle Bob. And be able to spoil him or her to death, and then say, “Bye! See you next time!”

I am also especially looking forward to seeing Bob in “Daddy Action.” I don’t know if you know this or not yet, but my brother is a big sap. Yes, you heard me right. When it comes to his niece, at least. So I KNOW when there is an actual bundle of joy placed in his arms, he will be a goner for sure. And I think back to all the times I tried to show him pictures of my Roxy when she was a baby, and he would say, “She’s RIGHT THERE. Why do I need to see more pictures?” Or the times he would complain about watching videos of Roxy when she was pretty much just able to roll around on the floor – he didn’t quite understand the parental glee that comes with watching ANYTHING your child does on video. Oh, he’ll find out though! Yes he will!

I would also like to say for the record, JUST IN CASE they have a daughter, that he has told me many times in the past that his daughter will NEVER have a Barbie. Because he thinks Barbie is a horrible role model for young girls. Personally, I disagree, Barbie has had more careers than any real woman I know, and just because she enjoys spending time with Ken she’s not a bad person. I mean doll. Then again, her and Ken broke up, so maybe she does have more time for her numerous careers… But I digress. The point is – I can’t WAIT to see how long it takes before he is at Toys-R-Us buying a Barbie because his doe-eyed daughter asked nicely. Maybe all of ten seconds.

I know Bob and Sarah will be flooded with well-intentioned advice from now until their baby goes to college, so I think I’ll stick my two cents in here. This is my advice: wing it. No book, relative or child psychologist can tell you what is in your heart. Good people spawn good kids – and those two are the best. I have no doubt their child will be nothing short of amazing. Especially with me as an Aunt!

Love you guys!!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Wheeeeee!!!Yay!!
Congratulations!!

dasi said...

Yes, Fig, you are right. I am very sure if nothing else, my brother will be able to teach his child to be a gracious loser and chug jager bombs.

Hopefully he won't teach the chugging until the kid reaches 21!

Seriously, though, I have no doubt that parenting will be just one more thing to add to his list of "Things That I Am REALLY Awesome At." Just under coaching.

BB said...

Being an auntie is the BEST job in the world! Congrats!

Pivoney said...

I'm still catching up on the blogs for the past week se here's a late congratulations! As a Speaker Cityer I can't beleive he held out on us.

You're advice is perfect. Parents just need to trust their instincts, they're the only ones that know what's best for their kids.