Monday, August 01, 2005

Goodbye, Mr. South Side (I Hope)

Well, I did it. Don’t know if it worked or not, but I finally was cruelly honest with Mr. South Side. He had been continually calling and leaving messages all weekend, and some of my friends were getting pretty worried. For that matter, so was I. His last message from yesterday asked me to call him “to tell me the REAL reason you won’t talk to me.” Fine. Time to bite the bullet, stop being passive-aggressive, and spell it out for the guy.

So this morning at work while Satan (my boss) was in court, I called. When he answered, I started out by saying, “Look, you HAVE to stop calling me.” This didn’t go over too well. He wanted to know why. I told him that I had asked him for time, I had TOLD him I needed my space, that I had things going on in my life, and instead of respecting that, he was calling two and three times a day. And that he was scaring me. He seemed AMAZED that I was scared, and said “But I just wanted to talk to you.” NO!!!! NO MORE!!! I told him it WASN’T WORKING. That it was OVER. That I just wasn’t feeling it, and we had no future. He told me that we just needed time to be together, that I couldn’t break up with him without giving him a chance. I explained that yes, I could, and in fact, I was. He then told me he quit his job as a bouncer so we could spend more time together. (Yes, you read that last line right. The moron QUIT HIS JOB.) I told him he shouldn’t have done that, and that we wouldn’t be spending ANY time together anymore.

Well, he kept telling me that I wasn’t being honest with him. That he couldn’t believe I was acting like this. That obviously something was wrong, and I wasn’t telling him about it. That we just needed to spend more time together and give our “relationship” a chance. As you can see, this wasn’t going to well. And I started to lose it. I pretty much told him to get over it, we HAD a good physical connection, but I needed more than that. And I WASN’T feeling it with him. That not everyone in the world is meant to be together, and no matter what he felt for me, I did NOT feel for him. He asked what exactly I WAS looking for, and I told him, “You know, I’m not even sure. But I’ll know it when I find it, and IT’S NOT YOU.” This whole thing went on for a good ten minutes or so, and of course, he had to add the obligatory “You’re killing me here” to try to guilt me into changing my mind. (Didn’t work. He has proven his psycho-ness and I am SOOOOO done.)

Finally, I told him again, STOP CALLING ME. Like a hurt puppy, he whined, “So what? I can’t even CALL you ever again?” And I nailed the coffin shut with one word: “No.” Before he was able to say anything else, I told him I was at work, I didn’t have time for this, and GOODBYE. Ladies and gentlemen, I then did the most cold and cruel thing you can do short of insulting a man’s prowess: I hung up on him. And surprise, surprise, it has been almost an hour and I haven’t heard the “Exorcist” theme yet (which in case I haven’t mentioned, is his current ringtone).

So I honestly can’t say that Mr. South Side is gone for good, and deep down I have a feeling I haven’t heard the end of him. BUT, I finally did the right thing. I tell you, it really wasn’t easy for ME, the nicest girl in the world who always worries about everyone’s feelings, to be that mean. (At least over the phone. Because we all know I CAN be mean in writing.) But it was for the best. Strange thing is, in a weird way, I do kind of feel sorry for the guy, but COME ON. Who in their right mind would want to pursue someone who tells you to your face that they are not into you?? At all??? Anyone with self-esteem that low is DEFINITELY not for me. Besides, like I said before, I am sticking to the road less traveled: the one that ends in a giant house with a lot of cats and no man. Besides, he doesn’t even have a JOB anymore. What the f***??

I am really looking forward to having my life contain a little less drama. And less stress. This weekend was fun, but draining. I’ll probably add a second blog a little later detailing some highlights of that. But maybe for now I can relax a little… Yeah, right. Until I hear the Exorcist theme again.

No comments: