Friday, December 16, 2005

Yay for Randal - NOT!

So as you all know by now, I am a tv junkie. Which means that I OBVIOUSLY watched the "Apprentice" finale last night. And witnesssed the rise and fall of one man on national tv. No, not The Donald. The OTHER moron - Randal.

If you don't watch the Apprentice or haven't seen anything on the current "controversy," allow me to fill you in: basically, this whole season centered around two main contestants - Rebecca and Randal, both of whom had an unexpected twist of fate (Randal lost his grandmother, Rebecca broke an ankle) and both of whom Trump continuously praised. Throughout the season, there were "shockers" - Trump fired groups of people rather than just one at a time. Any moron could see where this was leading; due to the mass firings, you just KNEW there would be two hirings. Or so it seemed.

In the finale they had all the usual BS, and honestly I was rooting for Randal from the start, until it became clear there would be two winners. Then I was happy for them both, because honestly, the two of them complimented each other. Randal had all the fancy degrees and "experience" (I put that in quotes because he only had experience since he was ten years older), Rebecca had the drive, determination, and ability to make things work. Trump told the two of them he had two projects available, and asked Randal which he would choose. Rebecca graciously replied that she would be more than happy to run the other project. Ok, everyone's happy - we know where this is going.

Then suddenly, Randal turned into Egotistical Cro-Magnon Man. He started saying things like, "Mr. Trump, I RUN companies, she only WRITES about them" and "Look at her record - 1 and 2. I had NO LOSSES at all." In the meantime, Rebecca, true to her admirable character, commented that she "had the utmost respect for Randal" and thought he did a remarkable job. When pressed, she only said that she thought Randal may be too much into details to see the big picture, but that ultimately she thought he was very well-qualified. Randal, on the other hand, sliced and diced poor Becky.

Ok, so I was getting a bit uncomfortable at Randal's behavior, after all, I really LIKED this guy. He was everyone's buddy, everyone's pal, and was fair and honest. But now he was like a different person. Then came the moment of truth. Trump said, "Randal, you're HIRED." Randal got up and shook hands with everyone and preened onstage, until Trump asked him to sit down again. When he did, and the audience quieted down, he asked Randal, "So Randal, if you were in my position, wouldn't you hire Rebecca as well?" To which he replied, "No."

WHAT???? Mr. Egomaniac continued on to say "This is 'The Apprentice' not 'The Apprenti'" (moron - there is no such word, he should've been fired instead just on principle) and "Only the best should win" (well, maybe not that EXACTLY, but that's what he implied). Trump shrugged and commented, "Ok, then, but I could've been convinced very easily" (translation: "I was planning on hiring you both, asshole, and now I need to find someone else to head up that second project. You really fucked me up on national tv"). Rebecca just sat there with a smile plastered on her face, but you just KNEW my girl was plotting ways to sabotage Randal's up-and-coming "career." (Maybe she managed to get some questionable photos during their stay in the penthouse... one can only hope!)

Personally, I really think that what Randal did was mean and selfish. There were two TOTALLY different jobs available, and come on, what would he have lost if he said, "Yeah, hire her too?" Oh, wait - male ego here - HIS PRIDE. Of course, silly me!! No man ever wants to SHARE! He needed to be NUMBER ONE!! Screw the fact that she worked just as hard as he did, HE WON. So Donald picked him first - SO WHAT?? HE NEEDED TO BE THE ONLY WINNER. Arrogant, selfish asshole. I hope his project crashes and burns.

But wait - that's not all!! I may be getting myself in big trouble here by saying these things about Randal. Because apprarently this is all a RACE ISSUE. Yes, Randal is black. And Rebecca is white. It seems there are people out there who actually believe that the only reason there were going to be two positions filled was because they didn't want a BLACK winner. WHAT????? Come on, you have GOT to be kidding me. I am so sick and tired of people blaming everything on black and white. Look, people, we are in the 21st century here. GET OVER IT. I will be the first to admit that there are definitely plenty of racists out there, but in all fairness there are black racists too. And I'm pretty sure those are the people crying "Poor Randal! All because he is BLACK and those MEAN WHITE PEOPLE won't let him be the only Apprentice!" WHATEVER.

Bottom line: It's a frickin' tv show, albiet one that gives someone a great opportunity. It's not about race, or gender, or even fairness, apparently. Yes, people should talk about it, because Randal was a selfish ass. But they shouldn't talk about it like it's the start of the next civil war. Can you imagine? Race riots over The Apprentice for crying out loud? Give me a break.

Anyway, that is what's on my mind today, so if you don't watch "The Apprentice" or really don't care, my apologies. But I had to get it off my chest.

Stupid Randal.

3 comments:

NotCarrie said...

D Trump should have fired Randal for not recognizing and hiring a great talent!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dasi! See you are a single mom too! So am I. I am a member of a single parent site that is great. If you are interested in it let me know. Great blog by the way!

Came via Monica's blog. :)

dasi said...

When I have time, I watch those too! ;) Actually, I have the first season of both "21 Jumpstreet" and "Alf" on dvd - waiting for the time to watch them. And I've got my daughter hooked on "Roseanne." Who needs The Disney Channel when you can watch Nick at Nite, right??

And notcarrie - nice to know there are others who agree with me! ;)

fiabug - got you back on your site already - but welcome! Hope to see you more often!