Thursday, December 08, 2005

Christmas with the Carver

Oooooh, I have the MAJOR creeps now! Ok, let me first say that I REALIZE that tv is not real, but The Carver on “Nip/Tuck” has got to be the scariest dude on television!! He has his own blog (not on blogspot though, so you know he’s not TOO smart, lol!) and it is complete with videos. I just was on his blog, and it said he was “online now,” but try as I might, I couldn’t get through to IM him. Apparently I am not the only weirdo in this world who wants to IM a fictional psychopath.

For those of you who actually watch “Nip/Tuck” and know what I am talking about, here is the link to The Carver. I’ve found in my vast experience that there are two types of people in this world: those who watch “Nip/Tuck” and those who don’t. Those who DO totally get into it, because it is an AWESOME show, and those who don’t, well, let’s just say they don’t get it. I highly recommend that everyone watch that show at least once, but if you watch it once, be warned – you’ll get hooked.

Ok, I’m going to try to get my heebie-jeebies under control and stop thinking about the Carver, since it is not fair to those of you who don’t watch (but again – YOU TOTALLY SHOULD). Final thought on the subject – it’s Merrill. I’m telling you. Watch the videos, and you tell me…

Anyway, I think the best way to stop having creepy thoughts about getting my face slashed is to totally change the subject. And hello? Christmastime! THAT certainly isn’t scary! Well, it is if you haven’t started shopping yet or have no money or are afraid of reindeer, but whatever. My point is, that for the most part Christmas is a fun time. I know I just posted recently about the family party, and about my fun CD’s, but it’s my blog and if I want to do Christmas again, I can.

There is a radio station here in Chicago that plays Christmas music 24/7 from Thanksgiving to Christmas, which is pretty cool, to a point, but it’s also nice to be able to change the station if you want to. So I usually listen to it in the car on my way home from work. And the other day as I was listening to “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” I found myself befuddled. There I was, singing along and being all joyful and merry, when I realized that apparently the people who wrote this song tell “scary ghost stories” at Christmas. Now, I don’t know about you, but our family has yet to tell “scary ghost stories” at Christmas. I brought this up to Lexie, who at ten is pretty wise. She pointed out that “A Christmas Carol” could probably be construed (although she didn’t use that word, she is, after all, only 10) as “scary” since there are actual ghosts in it. But I don’t know, the song says “STORIES,” plural, so what are the other ones?? I mean, does this particular family toast marshmallows (another weird thing – who toasts marshmallows at Christmas? Actual lyrics: “There’ll be parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting…”) and tell scary ghost stories on Christmas Eve while the rest of the world is eating cookies and reading “The Night Before Christmas?” Sounds more like a campout to me. But hey, what do I know? All families have their own quirky traditions, I guess. Only, not everyone gets to advertise them in actual Christmas carols. If anyone else ever found those lyrics strange, please let me know. Better yet, if anyone actually DOES toast marshmallows and tell ghost stories at Christmas, let me know as well. I’ll conduct my own little survey here.

So, after the whole “WTF?” situation wound down, I found myself wondering why the radio never plays “Hardrock, Coco and Joe.” I LOVE that song. But in doing some research, it turns out that this song is apparently a “Chicago-only” song. I can remember growing up and watching the video (well, old film, actually, but I digress) every morning during the Christmas season. It was shown during Garfield Goose and Ray Rayner, and for those of you in any place OTHER than the Chicagoland area, those were the most awesomest kids’ shows in the world. Cuddley-Duddley RULES!! (Ha ha ha ha ha. You all have NO CLUE what I am talking about. Oh, well, you’ll just have to trust me on that.) So even though this was a local song, you’d think they’d play it on local radio, right? Wrong!! They don’t! But guess what? Lucky for you (and me) I found a link to the film & song, so we all can enjoy this Christmas Classic whenever we want. Now, one word of warning – this is one of those songs that sticks in your head and plays FOREVER, so make sure you will have access to other songs shortly after listening to this to kind of counteract the effects. Then again, if you’re like me, you may ENJOY humming this song for the rest of the day at work or wherever. Plus, as an added bonus, it drives other people CRAZY. Because one of two things will happen: 1, they will know the song and get it stuck in their head as well, or 2, they will have never heard of the song, and go nuts trying to figure out what it is.

Well, there you have it. The Carver and Christmas. Yin and Yang. Evil and Good. And I don’t care if he ISN’T real, he’s still scary as hell. And HE probably toasts marshmallows and tells ghost stories at Christmas – in fact, I’d almost be willing to bet on it.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have been waiting for them to play Dominic the Christmas Donkey but they haven't yet.

You know I had the same thoughts about that song. Sounds like Halloween behavior to me.

Chief Slacker said...

Christmas music = Ok

Christmas music 24/7 = Please god tell me no one outside of the north pole really listens to that station 24/7!!!

Miladysa said...

1. I have never watched Nip Tuck but my youngest son (23) is addicted!

2. Christmas and ghost stories - traditional here, no Christmas is complete without a ghost story. I suppose it has something to do with Yule and the timing of 'Christmas' by the Church to take the place of earlier pagan festivals (If I remember correctly Jesus was probably born around September time - not that I was there of course just what I have read :) ). We still traditionally have an evergreen tree, holly, mistletoe etc. from our pagan roots and ghost story telling at this time of year probably is part of the old pagan traditions too.

Amber said...

I love Nip/Tuck (as you know -- and I don't think I have to mention again my PURE ADORATION for Julian McMahon)but it comes on at a weird time here -- like 11 on Tuesday nights and I always forget, plus I'm in bed by then. I guess I'm going to have to depend on you for the recaps.

Was Kimber really on the plane? Did Julia's mom die?

Oh, and I saw the Carver's MySpace profile. Talk about CREEPY.

NOW I will address the Christmas songs -- I love Christmas songs, but this year I find myself annoyed by the inane songs they play at the stores. And we also have a station that does the 24/7 thing. Don't get me started on the songs I hate from there -- any song butchered by Mariah Carey should not be played, but yet? They do.

Marissa said...

Oh I cannot wait Nip/Tuck - it's too much for my weak stomach. I can't even watch Dr. 90210!

Alice said...

i'm OK with christmas music... like, the week before xmas. as it stands now, where they start playing it the day after halloween in all malls/stores/parking lots/you name it... i want to deck somebody's you-know-what by the time xmas comes around, if you know what i mean.

actually, you probably don't know what i mean, because even i have no idea what that was supposed to insinuate. something sinister, no doubt. :-)

NotCarrie said...

I'm only on Season 1 but LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Nip/Tuck!

dasi said...

Cheryl - I heard Dominick the other day during our "snowstorm" and thought of you!

Slacker - So far I have yet to meet anyone who actually listens 24/7, as for myself, I need a rock & roll break sporadically...

Miladysa - Thanks for clearing that up! I never knew Christmas traditions in England were so different! I love hearing your comments and reading your blog for that very reason - I'm always learning something new! ;)

Amber - Ok, if I tried to give a recap in this space, it would be ridiculously long!! Maybe I'll e-mail you a brief (or not-so-brief. Nip/Tuck is complicated, you know!) synopsis of the current goings-on...

Marissa - May I suggest putting your hand infront of the tv during the surgery scenes like I do? That way, you can still see the rest of the show...!

Hope - Don't worry, I haven't done either, either.

Alice - I'm not sure whether or not it's a good thing, but I DO know EXACTLY what you mean! ;)

NotCarrie - Stick with it, it gets even better!! And now I have to go read YOUR blog!! ;)