Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Dream Weaver

A lot of people I know claim they don't remember their dreams. Not so me - actually, it is quite the opposite here. I remember so many dreams that I sometimes almost wish I WOULD forget some, just because then I wouldn't dwell on them so much. My dreams range from the completely bizarre and indecipherable to actual "mini-movies" in my sleep. Maybe that is why I enjoy sleeping - dreams (at least to me) are FUN. Take, for instance, last night. Last night I dreamt that I was in someone's house at a party. It was a really fun party, but then the house started on fire. Now, before you say, "Gee, that doesn't sound like fun!" let me finish. When the house started on fire, I started looking for my cats. I don't know why my cats were there, but apparently they were. While I was looking for my cats, an extremely good looking guy (who wasn't even a fireman) approached me and said, "The fire is out, but it looks like you and I are the only people left in the house." Unfortunately for me, I seem to have the same luck in my dreams as I do in real life, because instead of jumping on this glaringly obvious proposition, I asked him to help me find my cats. Apparently he was nice as well as attractive, because he did. I woke up while we were still looking.

Ok, so when I woke up, I was in a good mood, because I was with this guy, but now my mind is going nuts - WHO WAS HE?? I only remember that he was attractive, but I can't seem to remember details. And I am mad at myself for waking up before we found my cats, because obviously we were clicking, and who knows WHERE my dream may have led. I also find myself wondering exactly what this dream meant. According to my Dream Book (which was originally published at the turn of the century - therefore, it contains a lot of very stupid translations) fire is favorable if you don't get burned. Duh. But wait - "if you see your house burning, this denotes a loving companion, obedient children, and careful servants." Hmmm. Then for "cat" it says "to dream of a cat denotes ill luck if you do not succeed in killing it." (KILLING IT????? Ok, I really think that if I ever dreamt of killing my own cats, that it wouldn't really be a good thing. But back to this so-called interpretation.) So now I've got a mixed-signal dream. And alas, my book says nothing of a studly mystery man who is willing to help me find my cats. Bad luck or good things?? I'm totally confused. Not to mention that I don't even have servants... and my daughter has not been very obedient lately. Maybe the "loving companions" are my boys, Baby and Ace, since I was so concerned about finding them... Whatever. I give up.

Ok, so that was last night's dream. My dreams are generally not very threatening, although I HAVE experienced the kind of "get up and turn the light on" dreams, which I don't want to go into, because (obviously) they scared the hell out of me. Let's just say that those dreams usually involve very scary people and impending doom. These dreams seem to happen after I watch a movie that I didn't think was that scary at the time (nope, not scary at all until the house is all quiet and the lights are out!!) or my daughter is spending the night somewhere and I am all alone (I know, a 9 year old isn't the best protector, but I feel comforted knowing she's there nonetheless).

I also dream about celebrities a lot. A LOT. As a matter of fact, many of my friends make fun of me because of this. Soap opera characters (not the actors who play them) seem to enjoy starring in my dreams. I find that they are generally nice people. And I like watching them on tv more when I get to know them better in my dreams. Jennifer Aniston was sitting next to me at a Cub game the other day, and once Noah Wylie asked me whether or not he should return to ER. (Just for the record - I told him he should do what he felt was right.) George Clooney told me I was the most beautiful, down to earth woman he had ever met, and Joe Perry from Aerosmith cheated on his wife with me (did it just get HOT in here??). Personally, I see nothing wrong with my mind's penchant for dreaming of celebrities, as I said before, I think it's fun. Kind of a bummer when I wake up and realize that I really wasn't invited to the party of the year in Beverly Hills, but at least for a while I thought I was. The way I see it, if by some fluke I ever do become rich and famous, I will be well prepared in dealing with celebrities.

So there you have it. My dream world is currently kicking my real world's ass, which I guess is kind of depressing. Not that I don't enjoy my real world, I do, but you have to admit, hot guys in burning houses and celebrities are much more entertaining than the mundane life of a working mom. I'll have to work on spicing up my real world, I guess, but just imagine what my dreams will be like if I do!!!

No comments: