Friday, April 29, 2005

Beauty is in the Eye....

I'm sure you all already know this, but apparently Julia Roberts was again named the most beautiful person by People magazine. I read in an article that apparently she has reached the peak of her beauty since she gave birth to her twins, because she is "satisfied and content." I don't know about any of you, but as a mother, I can say that when you have a baby (let alone two) at home, you are very rarely "content." Satisfied - maybe. I guess I can see that. She's got a boy and a girl - she's done now. Satisfied. Yeah, I guess I buy "satisfied." But no way in hell should she be content!!! Of course, unlike most other mothers, I'm sure she has round-the-clock nannies, a housekeeping staff, gournet chefs and let's not forget Danny. And as far as her healthy glow and great figure after giving birth to twins - two words - personal trainer. WAIT - two more words - makeup artist. Any of you know any women who have either of these people on staff? Didn't think so.

So as far as I'm concerned, that whole thing is a load of bs. I'm not saying Julia isn't beautiful, she is, but let's not go overboard and gush about how having children made her more beautiful. I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of pictures of her and Danny and the kids, at the park, at the beach, etc. etc. and tons of stories about how she is going to be a hands on mom, but I'm sorry, I just don' think that's how it's going to be. I mean, I love my daughter to death and wouldn't trade her for the world, but if someone came up to me and said "Hello, I am your nanny and I will do all the dirty work regarding your child" don't think for a minute I would pass up that opportunity!! Your run-of-the-mill mom is a supertalented multi-tasker - she works full-time, does all the cleaning and laundry, cooks for the family, helps with homework, plays chauffeur, hosts "play dates," cares for the pets (Doesn't Julia have like 28 dogs or something? None of which, I'm sure, she cares for herself. And petting doesn't count.), attends school functions or sports events or both, yada yada etc. and so on. What does Julia do? Smiles for the People people. While her nanny watches the kids. Hell, who can blame her, I guess? If I had multi-millions, I'd do the same thing. But let's all be honest and admit that having kids did not make her more beautiful. I'd like to see her in 20 years with those kids if she suddenly lost all her money and clout - she'd look just as harried as the rest of us. Wait -did I say 20 years?? I'm betting she wouldn't even make 2. But that's just my opinion.

No comments: