Monday, July 03, 2006

For Better or for Worse



Today is the day that my grandparents got married… back in 1937. Yes, SIXTY-NINE years ago. I am totally in awe. Just imagine, sixty-nine years with the same person every single day. Sixty-nine years of laughter and tears; children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Sixty-nine years of waking up every morning knowing that you have found your soulmate, and that person will be by your side forever.

Grandma and Poppops are incredible. At 89 and 92 respectively, they are still going strong. Their love for each other is an inspiration in a time when so many marriages seem disposable. They took their vows seriously almost seventy years ago, and never wavered. I love spending time with them because to me, they epitomize everything I would want in a relationship.

Sure, they may bicker, and Grandma often gets frustrated with Poppops’ antics (“For God’s sake, Leo!”), but there’s no denying the unconditional love between them. They have built a life that most only dream of, working hard in their youth and raising four children, then being able to retire comfortably and enjoy their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They remain healthy even now, with occasional “scares” but so far, nothing serious (knock on wood). They love nothing more than being with the family, and the feeling is reciprocated.

I look at my life, and my past relationships, and realize that I am right where I need to be. No one I dated in the past was my “Poppops.” And I don’t want to settle for anything less. I don’t want a disposable marriage, I want the “forever.” If I can’t have it, then I’m fine as I am. Too many people seem to forget that love and marriage isn’t always hearts and flowers. Love is hurtful, love is stressful, love is frustrating as hell. But REAL love will endure regardless. My grandparents have shown me that. I’m sure they have had knock-down drag-outs earlier in their marriage, heck, maybe even a few in the past few months, but they always work it out and move forward. And because of their belief in the marriage vows they took, they are blessed with the gift of security and everlasting love.

I love you, Grandma and Poppops – here’s to sixty-nine more years!

4 comments:

Rick said...

Just my two cents... marry your best friend. I did. Thirty-two years ago.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

My parents would have been together 56 years this year if they were still around.

It was a different era with different values.

I feel the same way and sometimes I wished that my ex would have tried harder instead of just tossing it away. But then I look back and realize we didn't have the same values and she never took her vows as seriously as I did.

Amanda said...

congratulations to them, and good luck to you. i know you will find what you are looking for. you have a great example in your grandparents. it's lovely.

Cheryl said...

What a great story! And you're right, it's definitely inspiring.