Monday, July 10, 2006

Intervention?

So, “Intervention” started its new season last night on A&E, and I watched the beginning of it this morning. I think being someone who has “been there, done that” this show intrigues me more than your average viewer. It is always interesting watching someone caught in the throes of addiction from an outsider’s view. And for me, remembering is important, because I need to never forget what it was like. I doubt that I ever will, but over the years I have seen quite a few people get cocky and think “Oh, it’s been x amount of weeks/months/years, one line/hit/slam won’t kill me.” And guess what? Eventually, it does.

I like the fact that “Intervention” doesn’t pull any punches. It shows the addict in all their glory. The “interviews” I pretty much take with a grain of salt, because anyone who has been there knows that addicts are liars. And these heartfelt soul-baring talks to the camera may be true to a point, but I have a feeling most of them are just saying what they feel the producers want to hear. All they want is the money they are probably being promised so they can go out and party some more. Little do they know, though…

There is something that really bothers me about this show, though. I mean, it’s all well and good that they are offering free treatment to some of the nation’s best facilities, but I can’t help but feel that their money is being wasted. Why, you ask? Because an addict can’t be helped until they want to be helped. And I mean REALLY want to be helped. They need to hit their own bottom, and come to their own realization. Interventions, to me, are well-intentioned but not the answer. The ultimate intervention would be one where loved ones just put their feelings out there and then back off entirely. Instead, they pressure the addict to “get help now.” And 99% of the time, the addict will agree, out of guilt, out of fear, out of obligation, out of frustration. Hardly ever because they really want to. They are backed into a corner and forced to make a choice they weren’t ready to make. That can be a really bad thing for an addict.

In recovery, I listened to story after story of how others got clean. There were several “intervention” stories, and guess what? Not one of them took. Ever. Maybe for the sixty days they were inpatient, or even for almost a year, but eventually these people went right back to their old habits because deep down, they never wanted to quit in the first place. The only way these people had any hope of staying clean and sober was to take their own life inventory, and decide on their own that they were powerless – and that they needed help. When they asked for it on their own, they were more likely to succeed. When they were forced into it – not so much.

It breaks my heart seeing these families and friends reaching out to their loved one, wanting so desperately to save them… but the sad reality is that they can’t. Not with all the money and love in the world. Addicts unfortunately must save themselves. Now, I don’t know what the statistics are on the addicts who were profiled on “Intervention,” but as the show has only been on for about a year and a half, they would be hard to read right now anyway. What I do know is from personal experience, and the shared stories of others.

I don’t want to knock “Intervention,” on the contrary, I truly believe it is an excellent show that should be commended for trying to help. And maybe in some way it will. Maybe the addicts profiled will watch themselves on tv and realize what they have become, what they have lost. Maybe they will decide that they don’t want to be that person anymore. Maybe they will decide on their own to ask for help again, without an intervention…

In any case, I just hope that people watching that show don’t think interventions are miracle cures. Because when it comes to addiction, there is no miracle cure. There is only hard work, determination, and support groups. There is the conscious decision to admit defeat and regain control of your life. And it is hard as hell and it sucks starting over, but the end results are well worth it.

3 comments:

Rick said...

I can't watch Intervention at all. It's heartbreaking and, as you suggest, probably pointless. I can understand why "normies" watch it and wonder if anyone is really that bad... and I suppose it might be cathartic for the families involved... but me, I've been there and I ain't goin' back.

Cheryl said...

I haven't even heard of th is show. I miss full cable. interesting to hear this though. I will look at TV shows and movied with interventions differently.

Marissa said...

Without having ever been in the situation, I absolutely agree with you. I think you have to really want it in your blood and bones before you seek help - even if that means hitting the absolute rock bottom. Sometimes that's what it takes. That being said, I like the show. I watch every time and cry - especially when there are children involved and the kids are crying as their parent/guardian/aunt/uncle/whateverare leaving for treatment.