Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Don't Worry...

You know, I was lying in bed last night trying to fall asleep (and having a difficult time of it) so of course, my mind started wandering. I started thinking about bills, and money, and doctor and dentist appointments, and vet appointments, and relatives, and friends, and work... Then all of a sudden, a song popped into my head. And everything went away. And I started giggling to myself - freak that I am. Because the song that popped into my head was Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

I think Bobby was really on to something. Landlord taking you to court? Don't worry, be happy! No money, no style, no love life? Don't worry, be happy! No place to live? Don't worry, be happy! He said that worrying just doubles your problems, and you should just smile and deal with it. Or call him. Cause when you worry, he'll make you happy. Well, maybe not anymore, I mean, the song is like 20-something years old and he probably got tired of making everyone happy, but still...

Another reason this song makes me feel good is because way back when, before karaoke became popular, they had a "recording studio" at the amusement park in my state. You could pick a song, and sing it, and they would give you an audio cassette of your musical debut. Well, I sang this song with two co-workers from Red Lobster, Bobby Joe and Tandy, and we sounded GOOD. And we weren't even drunk. But we had fun making it, you can tell. Half the song we laughed while we sang. Which is appropriate, since we were supposed to be happy. I still have the tape, and it's still in pretty good condition. If I knew how to download audio, I'd share, but alas, I don't.

Anyway, life of late has been pretty stressful. I won't go into the details, because I really don't feel like it, to be honest, but that is also why my writing has been so sporadic. And then there I am, lying in bed, stressing even more, when my brain is invaded with Bobby McFerrin's dulcet tones. I think it is a sign. And I think I will take his advice.

What was the final line of the song again? Oh yeah - "I'M NOT WORRIED, I'M HAPPY!"

4 comments:

Rick said...

I just heard "Don't Worry" in the background of a TV show the other night. Or it might've been a movie I rented. And I've been lying awake lately, too. Just stupid stuff, like whether I've forgotten to do something. Then I remember it doesn't matter... whatever will be, will be.

Kiki said...

Dooo doo doo doo doo

doo doodoodoo doo doo doo

Don't worry

Doo doodoodoo doo doo doo

Be happy!!!

Hee hee. I used to love that song!

my new blog is revolving-girl.blogspot.com

Mollysbrother said...

Seriously, "Don't Worry. Be Happy."

I enjoy reading your blog. Hope everything works out okay.

Honestly, I used to stay up at night worrying about this stuff too. Just focus on working and getting out from behind the bills. You can do it!

Cheryl said...

Don't worry, be happy now! That is gonna stick with me all day!