Thursday, October 26, 2006

Resurfacing...

So today at lunchtime I plan on going over to the local Red Lobster to apply for a waitressing position. Just to supplement my income until I finish my book and get really really rich, of course. Funny thing is, my daily cell-phone horoscope said something along the lines of "somthing you thought had left your life resurfaces..." That made me kind of chuckle, since Red Lobster was a huge part of my life, oh, about 20 or so years ago. See, I worked there forever ago, and absolutely loved it. I was a cashier, which they phased out eons ago (shows how long it's been!), and didn't necessarily love the work, but I loved the people. Made a lot of friends back in the RL days - as a matter of fact, my best friend was my manager. Of course, she was my manager first, the best friend part came later. But I'm glad it did - she is awesome.

I don't really keep in touch with any of my old coworkers except for her and of course, my brother (yup, got him a job there too) but I think of them a lot. I wrote about Tandy a while ago, and there were lots of others I'd really like to know about. Back then, when I was young, thin, and pretty I had a lot of admirers at work too. One in particular that I dated for three whole months until his mother decided I wasn't good enough for her son (read: I wasn't Italian). Bottom line - it was fun going to work and flirting. And the women were fun, too - just so you don't think I was that sleazy girl who hated women - actually, a lot of us would hang out after work and have a few (or a lot of) drinks at the bowling alley down the street.

Anyway, now that I am an old lady with a daughter, I doubt I will be as crazy as I was back when I originally worked at Red Lobster, but I still think it will be fun. It takes a certain kind of person to deal with the restaurant biz, and those people are usually pretty cool. So I really hope I get this job. It'll be hard holding down a full-time and part-time job, I know, and I've already talked to Lexie about it, but I think in the long run it will be worth it. I'd really love to pay off some bills and just be able to breathe financially, you know? And waitressing is something I've enjoyed and was good at. So hopefully I'll be able to work a few shifts a week and bring home a few extra hundred a month and not kill myself in the process.

I guess I'll find out soon if Red Lobster is ready for dasi again...!

3 comments:

Rick said...

Better to do something you love than something that will kill you with resentment, eh?

Cheryl said...

Good luck! I have like everything crossed for you.

Cheryl said...

how did it go?