Thursday, August 17, 2006

Deja Vu (Well, Kind Of...)

Ok, for those of you who have been around a loooong time, I got a strange phone call on my cell today. But the ringtone wasn’t “The Exorcist” theme, so I thought nothing of it. Whoever it was left a message – some guy who kind of garbled “Remember that drawing you signed up for? (Go Bears!) Well, SUCK IT!” At least, I think that’s what he said. In any case, I looked up the number (which was 847-828-4852, by the way, feel free to call this moron anytime) and it is a cell phone based in Hinsdale, IL. Which is on the south side. And who lives on the south side? MR. SOUTH SIDE!! Now, it may just be a strange coincidence, since Mr. South Side vanished just about a year ago. But to make sure, I called this number back from my switchboard-hidden work line, and the same voice answered. (Sounded kind of like a young drunk kid, actually.) And what did I say? Well, something like this (in a verrrry sweet voice):

“Hello. You just called my cell phone and left a, well, shall we say interesting and somewhat vulgar message on my voice mail? And, well, I just thought you should know that I really didn’t appreciate it. In fact, I called the police and told them about it and gave them your number. So when they call you, you might want to think of a reason why you are leaving inappropriate messages on strangers’ cell phones…”

There was dead silence, save for the (I think) tv in the background. So I knew he was still there. Oh, and? Obviously I didn’t REALLY call the cops. That would’ve been silly and a waste of time. Anyway, since the poor sap was still on the line, I figured I’d add:

“Well, alrighty, then! Just thought you should know. Bye!”

And I hung up. And laughed. I highly doubt it was Mr. South Side, probably just some stupid punk who was so drunk or high he forgot about caller id. But it still made me think if him. Sometimes I kind of miss the drama of my Mr. South Side Summer… NOT!!!!

Oh, and? If you click on the Mr. South Side link, you are only linking to one of many posts about the hijinks that ensued. So keep looking at old posts if he entertains you – Lord knows, he entertained Amber! (Holla, Amber!!!)

5 comments:

Amber said...

Holla!

Yeah, it was entertaining. And, just as a side note, I discovered that while cell phones are great and very anonymous, you can't block people from calling you a bazillion times. Did you ever look into that when he was calling? I can't remember. Anyway, you learn something new everyday when you hang out with teenagers...

Cheryl said...

Oh that is so awesome Dasi! That is hillarious and so well-deserved. Well done.

Marissa said...

omg, SOO FUNNY! good for you for doing that. you might be my hero, for real!

Thomas said...

Like Yogi Berra once said, "It's like deja vu all over again."

Pivoney said...

Just for the record, Hinsdale is not on the South Side. Us true South Siders take exception to that.

Have fun with your new friend the West Side Pranker!