Thursday, October 25, 2007

Moving On

I gave my notice today. Did you hear that??? I GAVE MY NOTICE TODAY!!!!! And it was sooooo sweet. I got the job at the US Attorney's office, just found out for sure yesterday otherwise I would've mentioned it sooner. Of course, I still need to undergo security clearance, which takes about FIVE WEEKS, but I'm really not too concerned about that. I mean, I was, but after doing a little research on the whole security clearance thing I found out that my somewhat cloudy history can be dismissed due to mitigating factors: i.e. no drug use in 12 years, good personal and professional references, no arrests, et al. So although a few butterflies my linger in my stomach, I feel pretty confident all will go well.

Then today came the moment I have been dreaming about for SIX AND A HALF YEARS. Actually, it didn't go quite as I had planned. I was going to wait for his wife to come in and tell them together, since it affects her, too, but then he called me into his office. To bitch at me. To tell me that since I "walked off the job" yesterday, I was lucky I didn't get terminated (I was supposed to pick up Lexie from a walkathon yesterday, so I waited for her to call me. I planned on using my whole 30 minute lunch to pick her up and bring her home. Unfortunately, as tweens are apt to do, she changed her plans and called me at 3:45 to say she would just walk home. So since I had not taken a lunch, I left 15 minutes early - thereby actually shorting myself 15 minutes of lunch yesterday. And? Satan left me a voice mail at 4:50 - dasi. It's Satan. Call me as soon as you get this. Then, he called Nice Attorney at 4:59 and asked if I was there. Nice Attorney told me about this this morning, and said when he told him no, Satan replied, "Ok, I just wanted physical evidence." WTF? CSI Schaumburg???? Sorry - this backstory is way long.). Anyway, he was going on and on about how this is a trust issue, and he can't trust me, and how dare I just WALK off the job, and I need to actually do my work instead of slacking off so much (ok, who does he think is calling all the clients and ordering records and summarizing said records and following up on files? Friggin ELVES???) and on and on and on...

This whole time, there is a repeating track playing in my head that went something like this: "You are an asshole. I really hate you. Soon I will never see you again. Soon. SOON. But not now. You need money, dasi. Don't quit NOW. You are an asshole..."

So when he finally finished, I looked him square in the eye and said (this is the good part), "Satan, I am really sorry you feel this way. After 6 1/2 years, I feel I have been nothing but trustworthy, and I didn't mean to upset you by using my lunch at that time. I didn't feel it was that big of an issue. But apparently you do, and for that I am sorry. And I also feel that I have done a damn good job since I have been here, and I plan on continuing to do so until the end to make this transition easy on both of us. I am not the type of person to do things halfway or leave things undone, and I will do my best to continue working hard until the end. I was planning on telling you and Mrs. Satan together, since this affects her as well, but I suppose now is as good a time as any to tell you that the US Attorney's office offered me a job, I have accepted, and my last day will be on November 16. And that I will not be in the office on November 1 since I have to complete paperwork and give fingerprints for the background check (Which isn't really true, I have a party on Halloween and don't wanna work on the 1st. But like I need to tell him that). But like I said, I will do everything in my power to make this a smooth transition and I don't want to end 6 1/2 years on a bad note."

I'm pretty sure he was caught WAY off guard, because he wouldn't even look at me. He actually said, "Thank you, I appreciate that." WHOA!!!!

And with that, I got up, left his office, and continued to work on the file I had been in the middle of. Sweet. It felt good. REALLY good. Because know what? As much as I'd love to, I won't screw him over. I am a bigger person than that, and I plan on proving it to him. I'll do everything I can to wrap up as many files as I can, within reason, of course. And when I leave, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that despite having Satan as a boss, I did a job to be proud of for SIX AND A HALF YEARS.

Which means I'd best get back to work now. Tee hee.

10 comments:

Rick said...

Yee-HAW!!!
**jumping up and down**
I think I would've avoided telling him where I was going, though. Never tell Satan where to find you... ;-)
Yippee, yippee, yippee, this is AWESOME!

Alice said...

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is AWESOME!! man, i know it's the right thing to do and stuff, but an evil little part of me wishes you could have screwed him over, just out of spite ;-)

Miladysa said...

Congratulations!

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you spoke with Satan :)

Amber said...

Great work! And congrats on the new job! You've stuck it out for too long in this one and you deserve something so much better!

Cheryl said...

So much awesomeness in one post. Congrats on the job and what you said to the boss and being the bigger person.

Are you going to be in the US Attorney's office downtown?! We could have lunch...

Marissa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!

dasi said...

Thank you all SOOO much!! And believe me, I really wish I could've been at least a LITTLE snarky... but with the Federal investigation for the new job and all... I mean, what if they call SATAN??? Hafta try to be nice for 12 more days...

Chief Slacker said...

Woohoo, yay you! Freedom is now yours ;O) Time to be the best slacker you can be... at least for five weeks ;O)

Anonymous said...

Hey, great news! Good luck at the new gig!

Deb said...

I had a boss from hell before. I know that had to have been a terrific moment! Just sticking with your job for six years shows how dedicated you are. He was certainly the problem. I'm mean really, he must be anal to call and find out where you are that close to quitting time.