Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Sing Along With Dasi

I was driving to work today, listening to my Beatles CD (Yes, the Beatles. I find it to be a refreshing change of pace now and then) and singing along with all the songs when I was struck by a thought - how the HELL do I know ALL the words to ALL these songs?? I mean, the Beatles weren't actually mainstream when I was growing up. I haven't owned a Beatles CD until I bought this one maybe a year ago. And yet, I can't remember a time when I DIDN'T know the words. And motown. I know THOSE words too!! You know, all those fun dance songs from a generation I wasn't a part of. My generation grew up in the 80's - and of course I know the words to practically every 80's song as well. (Ask my brother - he'll vouch for that) Thanks to having a tween daughter, I also know the words to a good number of pop songs out today. So I was thinking, wow, I've got like this AWESOME memory, my mind is like a sponge!! I must be retaining things on a daily basis that I don't even REALIZE!! I mean, come on, I know the words to songs that came out before I was even born, and weren't played on a constant basis, so I must be a genius for remembering ALL THOSE WORDS for so long!! Stop and think for a minute - how many times does a song come on the radio and you just KNOW the words and start singing them? Like ALL THE TIME. At least for me. Cause I'm a genius with a fantastic memory, right? But then I got to thinking some more - if I'm this Einstein with a photographic memory, why do I spend at least 10 minutes every morning looking for my keys? How come every time I get home from the grocery store, I realize I forgot the ONE thing I went there for in the first place? And why is it when I go to a party and see the same people I have met quite a few times before I can't for the life of me remember their names?? (note: a good way to try to remember names is the "alphabet game" - Anna? Angela? Betty? etc. - usually you come across the right name. Of course, that method is VERY time consuming, and I wouldn't recommend doing it in front of the person who's name you are trying to remember. You will look like a stupid person, and we all know how I feel about stupid people.) So now I am very confused. A minute ago, I thought I had this awesome memory, and now I realize I don't. BUT WAIT - maybe I just have selective memory. That must be it. For some unknown reason, my mind seems to think knowing the words to "Oh Mickey" is much more important than driving anywhere. And who knows, maybe my mind is right. Maybe someday I'll be on a game show and need to know information like that to win a ten million dollar prize. And knowing that my brother's friend's girlfriend's sister's friend's name is Carol is irrelevant. Hmm. Well, I guess I'll never know the reason behind this phenomenon, so in the meantime I'll just keep singing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! If I used those stupid internet acronyms like lol, roflmao I would use them here, but I don't and I don't plan to start now. Keep it up!

dasi said...

Thank you bro! No, I believe you shouldn't compromise your integrity by using those acronyms. Just knowing the thought crossed your mind means a lot to me, though!