Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sweet Dreams

So last night I went to see "The Break-Up" with my mom. I was expecting a comedy, you know, since it was Vince Vaughn and all, but it was actually kind of sad. I left the movie pretty bummed out. Not what I was planning. I mean, there were some really funny parts, but the basic premise really brought me down. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but it was totally not your typical Vince Vaughn movie.

Anyway, I must have had Vince on my mind after the movie, because I had one hell of a dream last night. (Get your mind out of the gutters, people! It was a PG dream!!) Thought I would share it with you, since I remember it sooo clearly and it was a pretty interesting dream...

I was driving my car toward the neighborhood I grew up in, and my car was sounding kind of funny. So I pulled over, and popped the hood, fully intending to just put in some more oil since my car burns oil like crazy (actually, it probably leaks oil too...). So there I was, looking around in my trunk for some oil, when two good samaritans pull up. One was some girl, the other was Vince Vaughn.

I was trying to explain to them that I thought all I needed was some oil, but Vince would hear none of it. He insisted on taking the car to a service station to have it checked out. The girl was just looking under the hood and trying to look like she knew what she was doing. I think she just wanted to impress Vince. Well, I told him I could drive the car somewhere and it would be fine, and he told me not to worry, he had it under control. He took a garden hose out of the trunk of his car and tied his rear bumper to the front of my car. (Yes, I realize in real life this wouldn't work, but in real life, Vince Vaughn wouldn't try it, either.) So he tells me to hop in and off we go. The girl hopped in her car too, and was following us. Still don't know who she was or why she kept following us, but whatever.

We took the highway to my old neighborhood and when we exited, I told Vince he had to be careful and merge up ahead a little bit, but he drove completely over the median between the exit ramp and the lanes of the street, so I was like "OR, you can just drive over the median..." We came to a mechanic's shop that was a couple blocks away from the house I grew up in, and Vince untied my car and went in to talk to the guy. In the meantime, someone came out and was looking at the car Vince and I drove up in (which was some kind of pickup truck) and was shaking his head. Vince came out and was like, "NO! The Saturn, you idiot!" And then Vince looked at me and shrugged.

Vince and I sat down on the curb and started talking, and I was telling him about growing up in Chicago, and pointed out where Tastee Freeze used to be, and Burger Farm, and Arthur's Pharmacy, where my mom used to send me to buy her cigarettes with a note ("Please sell my daughter three packs of Winston. Thank you. Mrs. Dasi's Mom"). He and I laughed and talked about being young and how much times had changed. He was really cool, and I was having a really good time.

Then I had a great idea. I realized it was Thursday, and asked him if he had any plans for the rest of the day. He said no, and I asked him if he played softball. He looked at me like I was crazy, and said "Are you kidding me? Do I play softball?" So I told him about my brother's softball team, Speaker City, and how they could really use the help. That maybe at the very least, his presence would distract the other team enough to allow them to win their first game in almost two seasons. He thought that sounded like a great idea, and promised he would play.

The he got up and went to talk to the mechanic, who was entering a whole bunch of numbers into this computer. All of a sudden, I realized it was like 6:00 am, and I had gotten no sleep the night before, and also had to go to work. I didn't want to use another vacation day, but figured I might have to, especially if I wanted to be awake enough to see Vince play softball that night.

While I was pondering the situation, a police officer came up and informed me that my license plate sticker was gone. Apparently the girl who was hanging around with us peeled it off - why, I have no idea. But Vince told me not to worry, that he would get me another one. Then the mechanic told me it would cost $9,435.00 to totally fix my car. I almost choked, and said there was no way I could afford that, but again, Vince said don't worry, he would cover it. I almost wanted to ask Vince if he could just buy me a new car instead, but I thought that would be rude.

So they fixed my car and I had Vince call my work and leave a message saying I wouldn't be in. He gave me $1000 and told me that should cover any pay I missed. Said I was a nice person and he really enjoyed spending time with me. We decided to both go home and sleep and he said he would call me later (we exchanged cell phone numbers) so we could meet up and go to softball. I was really excited, and couldn't wait to surprise my brother and his teammates with Vince Vaughn.

Funny thing is, when I was driving home to go to sleep in my dream, I woke up in real life. I was pretty bummed out when I realized it was a dream, I had a really good time with Vince. I checked my cell, but alas, his number isn't programmed into it in real life. (That would've been really cool if it was, though - you know, kind of "dream life crossing over to reality" and all...) And the worst part of all? Speaker City is going to have to figure out a way to win without Vince. Any ringers out there who are free on Thursday nights?

6 comments:

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

It's been quite a while since I've had the time to go to a movie...

BTW, I'm back!!!!

AvR said...

The sleeping mind is truly the most amazing thing isn't it? And while sometimes I do believe our subconscious communicates to us through this medium, I'm not sure how much prophetic stock I would hold it this particular dream! =)

I remember sometime in the late 90's I had a dream that I was hosting a small Christmas party at my house (and you know this is a dream because jews don't have xmas parties) with Britney Spears and NSync. We were all dancing to Britney's song "Lucky" (I was dancing with Joey Fatone), when suddely Britney rushed to the window and said "Look ya'll---it's snowing". She then said she was going to go and bake some chocolate chip cookies.

Strange, but in a delightful way!

Cheryl said...

What an awesome dream. I bet he's a nice guy in real life, but maybe not THAT nice. I'm glad that girl disappeared.

Amanda said...

too funny...ain't nothing bad about a vince vaughn dream, except that whole waking up thing. and waking up from a great dream is a rather big let-down. but i guess there is the joy in having the dream at all...

Marissa said...

I ADORE Vince! And I agree with you re: the movie - I walked out sad. Not typical for a VV movie!

Lindsey said...

I loved that movie! But you're right...it's not what you expect it to be from the previews..but I loved it all the same. Have a big crush on Vince now though...even if he was being a bit of a prick.