Monday, April 10, 2006

Feelin' Groovy

See, I knew this was going to happen!! Satan is back as of this morning and my fingers are just itching to type something not work related. Go figure. Maybe I enjoy the danger of writing for my blog when I know that any second I could get busted and beaten down mentally… Or maybe I’m just a moron who can only think of things to write at inopportune times. Actually, it’s probably a little of both.

Anyway, it seems that spring has finally arrived in the Chicago area, and what an excellent weekend it has been. First I would like to point out that the Cubs swept the Cardinals in their first home series. Excellent games – my boys in blue are playing some exciting baseball. And that other Chicago team – who are they again? – I hear they lost 4 of their first 6. Shame. (Excuse me while I try to stop laughing in adolescent glee at that fact.)

Saturday Lexie’s bowling team apparently clinched last place, I was so proud!! She actually bowled 18 pins BELOW her average in the second game! What a gal! (Ok, that was sarcasm there, in case you didn’t notice. But the facts are accurate, although myself, the other moms, and the kids themselves really don’t care. It’s just fun to hang together in a noisy place on a Saturday morning.) The rest of the day was spent cleaning and shopping in preparation of a visit from my cousin Tom and his wife Carolyn (Hi Carolyn!) (And Hi Tom – just in case you BOTHER reading this…!) and their daughter who I can’t type enough superlatives to describe. Suffice it to say, Lexie and I are entirely smitten with their almost two-year old angel.

So on Sunday itself we had a really nice visit, got to break in the barbecue with one pound steaks from Costco. Kendall met the kitties, and basically spent the day being adorable. See?

We watched the Cubs and when Jones hit the three-run homer to take over the lead, there were high fives all around. Only, Kendall appeared concerned and kept saying, “Oh, no!” I sincerely hope that Tom and Carolyn work on that, because no one that cute should EVER be a Cardinals fan.

Lexie and I also watched some quality movies on Saturday night – “Wayne’s World,” “The Outsiders,” and “Rosie O’Donnell’s Very Special Cruise.” Obviously the first two were good, and Lexie enjoyed them, but let me tell you, Rosie’s Cruise was pretty damn good too. The level of intolerance in this world is unbelievable. Watching those couples with their children was nothing short of amazing. The amount of love was staggering, and the kids were all so well-adjusted, and not “messed up” like a lot of people assume children raised by gay couples would be. It was actually interesting hearing the teenage kids talking about growing up with gay parents, and saying how the fact that their parents weren’t afraid to be true to themselves made them more comfortable about being who they wanted to be, because they knew they would always be loved no matter what. Amazing. Not many kids of straight couples are that secure in their own skin. Anyway, the cruise looked like so much fun, and all the people were so awesome… there was a point where I thought, “Gee, maybe I should be a lesbian. They all look so happy and they get to go on a cruise” but then I thought of being kissed by another girl and kind of shuddered. Apparently I won’t be cruising with Rosie or wearing Rainbow pride colors in my lifetime, since I’m quite obviously a raging heterosexual. Which isn’t to say I can’t support them, though, and make sure my daughter is tolerant of everyone. But in any case, if you get the opportunity, I’d highly recommend watching it.

Soooo, that brings us to today. It’s another beautiful day, and even though Satan is in da house, I’m in a pretty darn good mood. Only 5 ½ more hours to go, and it’s off to Curves. Still working on those abs, dontcha know. Especially since I can’t afford to have the fat surgically sucked out at this point. Maybe after I sell my novel (heh!). Oh, well. Enjoy your day, people, and hopefully my good mood will continue indefinitely!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

It is gorgeous around here. I join you in laughing at the other Chicago team. ha ha ha hahaha!!!