Friday, May 30, 2008

Long Overdue

See, so I read other peoples' blogs, and then I feel guilty about mine... It's a good thing this blog is an inanimate object, otherwise I'm sure I would be proscuted for neglect and probably have all blogging privileges terminated. And THAT would be sad. Because neglectful as I am, when I want to write, I WANT TO WRITE, and faithful blogger is always there waiting for me to do so. So I'm sorry (again) blogger, and I won't even bother saying I'll write more frequently, since I probably won't (but MAYBE I will...!) and I despise liars. Anyhoo...

There are several things I could write about today, and I have decided that because of this, I will not write a long, rambling post on one subject, I will instead try to cram all those things in. Which may make it long and rambling anyway, but at least there will be diversity.

First of all, Kevin. Yes, I am still writing him, and so far he hasn't threatened to kill me or proposed marriage. So I feel pretty safe. His last letter actually made me laugh out loud, he told me when he wasn't in church or in meetings (of the AA/NA variety) he stayed in the dayroom and played Scrabble. And that he was the Scrabble King. But only because none of the other players knew how to spell anything longer than three letters. Kevin always had a great sense of humor. He also asked me to contact his sister, which I did. We had a great talk - and I reassured her that I had no intentions of seducing or being seduced by her brother. (And I swear I still don't, if you are reading this now!) Actually, I am enjoying corresponding with him and feeling that maybe in some weird way I am helping him get on the right track. But 12 years is a long time, and like I said, I am pretty happy with my life how it is right now. HOWEVER, his sister is an amazing woman and I am really glad we talked. She asked for the link to this, so hopefully she won't be too upset by TBOTE... Then again, I'm sure she knew more of what was going on than we thought she did. But shout out to you, E, and thanks for not hating ME.

In the spirit of "helping" Kevin, I also recently had a heart to heart with a cousin of mine who is STILL using. Oh, wait, that's right, no she's not. She insisted that she has been clean for "almost a year now." With NO help or rehab. After about 30 or so years of using. (What-Ever!) She has 3 kids, one son in college, a 15 year old daughter, and a 5 year old daughter. I don't know why I deceided to confront her NOW instead of earlier in my dozen plus years of being clean, but as it turned out, she agreed to go to an NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting with me, which she had never done before. And which I personally hadn't done in almost 10 years (not something I would recommend, but different strokes for different folks, and although I know I am not "cured," I have been doing well on my own. But without the meetings for the first three, I NEVER would've made it. But I digress...). I was a little freaked out, first that she agreed to go, second that I was actually going to a meeting again. I called a friend of mine who is still religious in the program, and his comment? "Yeah, dasi? Remember the 12th Step? To help others? It usually doesn't take TEN YEARS to do that...!" Thanks, Mike! It turned out really well, though - she cried a lot, and I think the seed has been planted. It was good for me, too, to be reminded of where I came from. Being around people with so short clean time really jars you when you've been there yourself. I can only pray though that she continues, for her sake AND for her kids' - because as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Well, I led. Start drinkin, cuz.

Lexie is making me totally insane - she will be 13 in August (I KNOW! I will be the mother of a TEENAGER! GASP!!!) and suddenly knows EVRYTHING. And TELLS me constantly. "I KNOW I am right! YOU are WRONG, and you KNOW it!" I have learned to ignore her. Arguing back only makes it worse. Basically, she is a good kid, but geez, the ATTITUDE!!! And her WHOLE life? AIM on the computer. Which I told you about before. And that punk-ass Lester?? I would tell you what he recently wrote to her, but it would make you all blush. Let's just say he implied he "needed help with his sex ed homework" and all she would have to do is (um...) orally pleasure him (my words, he was much more crude) and sign a piece of paper. I KNOW!!!! HE IS TWELVE!! Well, maybe 13, but WTF????? Thankfully, my daughter told him it looked like he was going to fail and promptly signed off. So like I said - good kid at the core, but making me crazy as hell and nervous too. I trust her - I just don't know about all the other kids in this world. *sigh*

AND THE CUBS!!!! YAY CUBBIES!!! Ok, so right at this precise moment we are getting slammed by the Rockies (shut up, Kendra & Amber) but you can't win them all. JUST MOST OF THEM!!! Tee hee!! This is OUR year, I am telling you. AND? I won two tickets for a rooftop party on June 12th. For those of you NOT blessed to be residing in the Chicagoland area, the rooftops are buildings right across the street from Wrigley Field where people can go on the roof and watch the game. Just like being there, but better in ways - since there is FREE FOOD AND BEVERAGES THROUGH THE ENTIRE GAME. Oh, joy! My friend Rene and I are planning to have a helluva time!! And I am SERIOUSLY contemplating dropping a huge chunk of money on a trip to Orlando with Cubs players in December. I have already been justifying the trip in my head, although in all honesty I shouldn't do it... but then again... Can you tell I am a die-hard Cubs fan???

Work here is awesome - I really enjoy what I do. Something about taking people's money for criminal debts is really fun. And also? Investigating people's backgrounds and assets and busting them for trying to cover up money they don't want us to know they have? HELLO? FUN AS HELL!!! A press release was just issued on one of our debtors who owned a hospital and was committing fraud and had to pay like $65 MILLION in restitution. This was like 5 or 6 years ago, and he HAS NOT PAID A DIME. But guess what?? Turns out he has offshore accounts in the Bahamas which he CLAIMED he had no control over... LIAR!!!! So now he is facing even more charges and the government will most likely take every dime he has to pay back the innocent people he scammed. See? FUN!!!

Finally, my old buddy Chef Scatzman stopped by my house the other day - he was the other attorney in Satan's office. The NICE one. Who now has his own practice (need a lawyer in the Chicagoland area? For ANYTHING? Call Jeff Saltzman (847) 397-6030 - shameless plug, there). I have referred a couple people to him, and we keep in touch, because he is a great lawyer, and an even GREATER person. So he stops by and gives me this really cool plant, and a Thank You card which almost made me cry, and several gift cards - more than I deserve! Basically, he let me know it meant a lot to him that I always was concerned about his family and his business, and I was a good friend, and he was proud of me for getting my new job. Awwww, Chef! Seriously, the guy is awesome. And now I can get some new clothes!

Heavens! Look at the time! I have to get back to making the bad guys pay. But at least now you're all updated!

****POSTSCRIPT - Did I say the Cubs were getting slammed by the Rockies?? How about coming back from an 8-run deficit to take the lead in the 7th???? GO CUBS!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

eye said...

Ok it is me, and I have read up to chapter 25, and you were right that I know more than you think I know, BUT not to the extent you have shared here, especially all the happenings in Reno. I can't believe how much you went through there and that you did not go home. I would not have been able to stay no matter how much I loved someone. ALthough I have never done drugs so I don't pretend to understand how much they suck you in and make you do stupid things. I know Kevin is an idiot, and had done so many things that were so wrong on so many levels, but he does have a good heart and that makes it hard not to want good for him. I have banished him from my life sooo many times and he always finds a way back in.

I am sorry for all you went through with him and I can't believe you decided to correspond with him again.. I know he appreciates it sooo much and he does need REAL friends to talk to . Maybe God sent you to him now so he can see that there is a way out, and you can survive addiction and you can make something of your life if you want to.

You are a talented writer/storyteller and should keep writing. Even though I am sure it is painful sometimes, I am sure it is also theraputic. I will keep reading and feeling your pain. Im sure I wont go to bed tonite until I get to 40, and hope that you will continue on so that everyone who is reading will know that you made it out of Hell and have a good life now.

Time to put the baby to bed, Ill be back later. E

eye said...

I'm Back.... Just finished chapter 40. YOU MUST KEEP GOING! First of all because you have a great talent for writing and storytelling. Even though this is about someone I love, and it does not show him in a good light, it is a rivoting story and I had blocked out alot of my memory of that whole situation. ( one reason is it is a painful part of the past, and the other reason is that I am old now and I think my children have sucked most of my brain cells out of my head, especially the ones responsible for memory)

I do remember him helping set up that drug lord guy, in return for the get out of jail free card. I have known he did drugs for along time, since about 7th grade actually.

In the recent past years we have had many discussions and/or confessions about his past lives. He always starts out with...did I ever tell you about the time I....

Sometimes he starts the stories and I stop him becasue they are too much information. Sometimes I listen in wonder of how he is still alive and not permanently in jail.

I don't understand how when you are sent to prison ( the real deal, not just county jail) that you would ever want to go back there, and you would do everything in your power to stay out.

He keeps doing stupid things, none on them violent, just plain stupid!!! He doesn't deal with things the way normal people do, he internalizes them and they fester and then he explodes on some sort of bender. It used to be drugs and alcohol, and in the past months leading up to this arrest, it was alcohol.

I had banished him from my life (again) because of his behaviors and aquaintances. He was using again and drinking alot and not keeping a job and relying on another persons disability checks to support them. Plus he had refined his shoplfting habit to a science. That is how he earned his living. Stealing and then selling to someone who would then sell it to someone else. CRAZY!

He was caught up with the wrong people again, as always, and it all came to a head when things started dissappearing from my home. Both him and his "girlfriend" aka D,(whom I hate and despise with every cell in my body), started stealing from us. We paid D to clean our house and help out with the kids etc.. in return we gave her cash, bought groceries, paid utility bills, took them places, basically we supported them. Kevin would do odd jobs around the house and fix things, work in the yard, etc...

We were so stupid!!! I believed they were family and I never thought they would steal from us. D ended up taking a diamond bracelet that my husband gave me on our wedding day. They pawned it to buy drugs. SHe, D, also took some rings that had real stones, and a diamond heart pendant and chain my husband gave me for our first Christmas together.

It was over!

Then one day my dad called me to ask if I would go to a hotel nearby and vouch for him and give him some money for a room and he would ay me back. He said it was going to be very cold in the next few days and he was worried about him. UGH!!! Here we go again. I did it for my dad.

Here we are.....and now I am paying attorney fees for him because I dont think it is fair to send someone to jail for 12-30 years for stealing a bike just becasue of his past history.

Boy have I rambled on too long.

Kevin is still a good person in his heart, still makes poor decisions, still means well, and still wants to get clean and sober.

I still want you to continue your story becasue I think it is important for you to write it for your own self, and because you have a tremendous talent.

I agree with alot of posters here that it would make a great book, and probably a movie.

I am assuming I will be in these memories eventually from when you came back from Reno, so I am waiting to see what happens.

I am so happy that you are doing well, and that you have beaten your addictions, and have a beautiful daughter. Children keeps us alive and happy and make life worth while! I live for mine.

Please continue soon! Want to hear more!

E.

Cheryl said...

First of all, ditto on the yay Cubbies!!!

Secondly, forgive my ignorance but is the 12th step to help people in general or to help people with the program. I need some info, cause you strike me as someone who would help someone who needed it in a general way.

Thirdly, as long as you don't let corresponding with Kevin suck you into a bad place, it doesn't seem like a problem. Maybe you're supposed to do it. Maybe God or the universe or whatever you believe in wants you to do this.

Alice said...

dasi!!!! so good to hear from you again in blogland! :-)

that ROCKS about your job. i'm so thrilled you like it (and that no one there seems to have satan-tendencies) and HOT DAMN that's sweet stuff you get to do!

well done you for helping your cuz. who knows, maybe 10 years ago she wouldn't have been ready to accept the help.

good luck with kevin :-)