Monday, January 21, 2008

No Love Lost

At RL yesterday, Eva was reading palms. I never knew she could do this, but Eva is a very versatile person. I shouldn't be surprised. She wasn't like lining people up or anything, she just was looking at Justin's palm and told him a few things while we were standing around between lunch and dinner shifts. So I stuck out my hand.

"What does mine say?" I asked, like an eager child.

She took my hand palm side up and ran hers across it. She tilted it to one side, then the other. Her brow furrowed as she pulled it closer to her face. Then she let go.

"Well, you won't be getting married again," she said.

"Again?" I replied. "I haven't even been married at all yet. Are you saying I'm never getting married?"

"Well, if you do, it won't be for love. You have no love line."

Silly as it sounds, I wanted to cry. Wait! I wanted to say. I must have a love line - just look a little closer! It has to be there!

Instead, I let out a little "oh."

"Sorry, hon, I have to get to my table," Eva said, running off.

Justin was gloating. "Cool - I'm gonna marry into money!"

And I wasn't going to marry at all. All this time, I wondered if something was wrong with me. Now I know it is just fate. The fates must have decided long ago that this was one tough cookie who didn't need anyone. That she could make it just fine on her own. That love was really only found in fairy tales.

HA! Scoffed fate. This girl needs NO ONE!

But I do, thought the little voice inside me. I DO need someone...

I know that palmistry isn't an exact science - but she also told me something she couldn't have known - a very personal fact about my past. So I couldn't help but be kind of rattled. No one wants to be told there's no chance, that the game is over before you even got to play.

Iwant a love line.

I wonder if that means that I've never really loved in the past, either... Kevin, Corry, Dave, Brad... were all those just crushes? Was Kevin a six-year fling? Kind of sad, really.

Oh, hell. What do you do. I guess I'll just have to find some young studs and "hang out" once in a while - you know, since there'll be no love lost.

Anyone know where I can get an old house and a couple dozen cats?

5 comments:

Network Geek said...

Dasi, fortune telling is all lucky guesses, cold reading and bullshit. We make our own fate. Sure, over the years I've had some lucky breaks, been in the right place at the right time, but I've had just as many bad bounces, too. In three years, I watched a marriage implode, changed jobs and beat cancer, but it all could've been worse. And, no matter what any lines on my hand says, I'll love again. Hell, I already have. You will, too. And, even if you don't get married, trust me, it's not always all it's cracked up to be.

But, no matter what happens, no one can predict it. You make your own fate. If you want to find love again, then go find it. You control your destiny, not your palm or the stars. *YOU*

Cheryl said...

I had my palm read once. It gave me goosebumps. Apparently, I get one love. I'm still waiting...

Rick said...

Do you at least have a SEX line?

Alice said...

hahahaaaaa i like where rick is going with that. screw the love line... get a ton of friendship lines, and then carve out a nice healthy sex line :-)

Marissa said...

That is so odd! Okay. I've had my palm read too --- and none of it came true. So, please don't take it too much to heart. I also believe in free will. Even if you don't have a love line, you can still meet the right person for you and find yourself a fabulous love life and companion. I know, I'd freak out too! But try not to. It isn't a science...not even close! The power of your destiny is in your hands.