Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Beginning of the End - Chapter 42

The days seemed to fly by.  Tanya had done an excellent job of keeping my mind occupied when I wasn’t at work, and she even offered to go with me to court.

“You need someone there with you,” she insisted on that Tuesday morning. 
           
But I didn’t want her there.  I didn’t want anyone there, in all honesty.  No one really knew the whole story about that night, and I wasn’t looking forward to reliving it.  Nancy had coached me on what could be asked, and to keep my answers simple and to the point – no matter how angry or frustrated I may become.  It unnerved me knowing that even though I was the victim, the defense would do everything in their power to make me look like the bad guy. 
           
“You just be ready and waiting when I get back,” I told her.  “I have a feeling I’ll need you when I’m done.”
           
She smiled and gave me a hug.  “You got it.”
           
Tanya had become a good friend in the past few weeks, especially since Kevin was so paranoid and quiet lately.  We had spent a lot of time talking and getting closer.  Oddly enough, as much as she knew about my life, I still didn’t know too much about hers.  But she was a good listener , and I considered myself lucky to have her around.  It had been getting far too lonely in Reno lately, even my coworkers seemed to sense the stress I was under and had begun to keep their distance. 
           
Kevin suddenly walked out of the room and up to me and Tanya.  “You ready?”
           
I nodded.  Tanya turned and went back to her room, and Kevin and I got into the car.
           
We were both quiet on the ride to the courthouse.  Finally, Kevin broke the silence.
           
“I can still go with you, if you want,” he said, still staring straight ahead.
           
I sighed.  “Kev, I think Nancy is right.  You need to just wait.  Outside.  Please.  I know you want to be there, but it’s for the best.”
           
He gave an irritated nod.  “It just sucks, is all.”
           
I chuckled.  “The whole situation sucks.  But hopefully it will be over soon.”
           
When we pulled up to the courthouse, he leaned over and gave me a tender kiss.  “I love you.  And I’ll be right out here waiting.”
           
“I know.  Thank you.  I love you too.”
           
And with that, I smoothed out the black slacks and blazer Nancy had instructed me to wear, bought specially for court, and walked into the courthouse.
           
I looked around nervously, hoping I wouldn’t see him, at least not until the hearing began.  Then I spotted Nancy walking briskly toward me.  I smiled hesitantly as she approached.
           
“You look great,” she said, reaching out and touching my shoulder.  “And you’ll be fine.  Just remember what I told you.  They’ll try to goad you, make you angry or uncomfortable.  Just stick with the facts.  Answer honestly, and be yourself.  And most importantly, remember that none of this was your fault.”
           
“I know,” I responded.  “I will.”
           
She directed me to the courtroom, and we sat at the prosecution’s table waiting for the hearing to begin.  Nancy took out a legal pad and started making notes.  The courtroom was basically empty, and no one was seated at the defense table. 
           
Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw him, walking in with his attorney. 
           
I felt my gut clench up and I thought I was going to vomit.  He was wearing a suit, for God’s sake, acting like he was some respectable human being.  He looked my way and smiled.  I quickly faced forward again and began to shake.
           
Nancy looked up from her writing and directly at me.  She glanced over at the defense table and gave a small nod.  Then she leaned over to me and whispered, “You can do it.  Let’s put this bastard away.”
           

I took a deep breath and remembered all the pain he had caused me already.  I wanted this over.  Now.  “I’m ready.”

No comments: